Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

still some 1940s office spaces with 1980s corporate culture in full effect, but RC is working on it....

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Salary is basically adequate considering this is Iowa. Benefits are being scaled back every year and this is depressing. Telecommuting is becoming more acceptable, making it easier to get a day each week where one can actually get something done with fewer interruptions. It also helps achieve better balance between home and work life. The ethics level among employees is generally very high. RC is making an effort to improve availability of more up to date IT technology to its employees. Almost all employees from lab techs to management are truly nice, ethical people that are a pleasure to know and work with. I stay because of the people. I like my colleagues and my management and this is one of the best benefits to working at this Midwest company.

Cons

The IT/computing technology is years maybe even decades behind the curve. I have one now, but I fought for a laptop for five years, finally being issued one as part of infrequent computer refresh. I am at least 3-4X more engaged and productive with it than I was without it. Finally I can log in from home and work without encountering 'rendering' issues on my screen. A lot of the management tasks for cost and schedule fall into engineering's lap. I left pure ME because there is no growth or promotion opps for the job classification, unless you get an MBA and go into management. MEs are turned into mini-PMs with none of the remuneration or status that goes with the work. The company commitment to quality is mostly lip service, in the end it's always about cost and schedule. Very frustrating that upper mgmt will not tow the line on programs that are not following established policies/procedures or delivering product that does not meet RC's advertised quality standards. The top quality culture that apparently reigned 10-20 years ago seems to be disappearing. Unless I get an MBA, I do not see advancement opportunities happening for me. And that's sad, because most of us went into engineering because we like the engineering process and wanted to use our education and intelligence to create new and exciting products for the world to use, not to relegate ourselves to managing other engineers or trying to become something we may not even really want to be by taking on running an entire program or switching to other job classifications just to get a promotion.

Review the structure of the business as whole. The entire business org board needs reworked. Not sure the CoE's are useful to the overall business model. Policies and procedures need to be streamlined and unified across the business wherever applicable. Engage more stateside contract employees instead of offshoring work, which ends up being inefficient. Engage satellite locations and respect their ways of doing business, and in fact, open more in progressive metro areas so that we can attain and retain top young talent. Assess each engineering employee for their best skills/interests and match them in roles where they can use their best skills to their own and the company's best advantage. I was all fired up to do analysis work when I first was hired in and found that only certain 'special' individuals get to do that type of work in ME as their primary work focus. What a total loss of my talent for RC, since I took several graduate level classes in college on CODING and using the SW for such analysis programs (Ansys, CFD Flotherm) & earned A's on the material. Ensure that enough qualified people are hired into engineering roles to perform the work that is being demanded instead of being chronically short staffed. Stop harping on transfer rate, or set a goal and make sure every employee knows the goal so they can plan their general time accordingly. Understand that you will have increased efficiency and a capable workforce to the extent that you allow a certain amount of general time for training. Stop the practice of treating engineers as interchangeable drop in COTS resources. Ensure each employee is being managed so that they have the tools they need to perform their job & a clearly published training/mentoring path so that they can perform it even better. There is good training available through RC University as long as an employee can FIND it! Good luck figuring out what you need on your training plan to perform your job because mgmt certainly isn't doing it. Manage and promote by statistics and not by who's friends with who or who has been around the longest. Advancements and remuneration should be based on actual performance and PRODUCTION, not "perceptions" of it. Middle mgmt are nice people but need backbones, stick up for your employees and ensure they are supported, especially when you know they're right.

Other reviews for Rockwell Collins

Labview software position

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

Pros

Very little overtime (they hire for 40 hours per week), friendly people. Very distinct roles in a project (if you like that). Generally Low stress. Very Good peer review tool. The cafeteria makes a nice breakfast sandwich. They make interesting products at this location (HUDS).

Cons

The custom labview executives, and the programing environment/needs are/produce low quality executives and code. There is very little reuse of code, some test executives should receive an F on maintainability. None have abstraction layer between test equipment and the test executive, or between the test instructions/commands/criteria etc and the test executive.

All code and supporting data should be verified every time a test is run.

Very let down by management styles

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Had good benefits and salaries

Cons

No longer has good benefits. Management tends to be retroactive and likes to find a fall person when things go wrong

You are all one company no matter what. Solve problems as a team with your subordinates instead of escalating to the next level to cover yourself.

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!