Rockwell Collins

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

Old-World Hardware Company Struggling to Compete in an Information Economy

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low cost of living in Cedar Rapids.
A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance.
Wide variety of projects within the company. Don't like what you're doing? Go try something else.
Get a job here and you can probably see to it that friends and family also get jobs.
Competitive time off: 13 or 14 paid holidays and 15 days of vacation for new employees.
Benefits are currently competitive with defense and aviation industry rivals.
The company seems genuinely concerned about the vast degree of employee dissatisfaction.

Cons

Over 50% of engineers are dissatisfied with their jobs and are not proud to work at Rockwell-Collins. This is based upon the company's own Voice of the Employee Survey.

Rockwell-Collins has cut benefits every year for the last decade. Salaries have not kept pace with benefit cuts. In the past, Rockwell-Collins was known for slightly below-average salaries that kept pace with a lower Cedar Rapids cost-of-living and were compensated by industry-leading benefits - this is no longer true.

Rockwell-Collins is an entrenched Fortune 500 Defense/Aviation Contractor using 1980s processes and dated technology while attempting to compete in a modern economy. Rockwell-Collins excels at competing in enterprise and government markets where the cost of entry is measured in the millions of dollars and a high degree of regulatory expertise is required.

If you learned about a process or technology in college 10-15 years ago, odds are good that Rockwell-Collins is just now implementing it: Subversion? Enterprise standard as of 2013. Outlook? We're still using LotusNotes. Modern bug tracking? We've got IBM Rational Tools. Would you like to use a modern software process or technology? Something like Test-Driven Design, Agile, Distributed Version Control? Hopefully you end up in a group that's defying the company's own Enterprise Tools group.

Rockwell-Collins is not a company built to compete in a modern marketplace, nor is it a company building benefits and salaries in such a way that it acts like it wants to compete. Admittedly, you already know most of this, but it seems like there's a decided lack of will to act.

691 Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins (View Most Recent)

Too early!!!

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

I only been working here for three months, so it's much too soon to really make a true judgment. I will say, I'm satisfied with my experienced so far.
    Excellent PTO and tuition reimbursement policy.

Cons

Nothing significant but still learning the company.

Rockwell Collins- Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rockwell Collins is a great company to work for. They have many advancement opportunities, flexibility, family friendly.

Cons

I liked this company, no cons that I can think of.

Listen to employees more when they give suggestions instead of already having everything decided.

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins