Rockwell Collins

www.rockwellcollins.com

Old-World Hardware Company Struggling to Compete in an Information Economy

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsLow cost of living in Cedar Rapids.
A non-trivial number projects in maintenance that provide good work-life balance.
Wide variety of projects within the company. Don't like what you're doing? Go try something else.
Get a job here and you can probably see to it that friends and family also get jobs.
Competitive time off: 13 or 14 paid holidays and 15 days of vacation for new employees.
Benefits are currently competitive with defense and aviation industry rivals.
The company seems genuinely concerned about the vast degree of employee dissatisfaction.

ConsOver 50% of engineers are dissatisfied with their jobs and are not proud to work at Rockwell-Collins. This is based upon the company's own Voice of the Employee Survey.

Rockwell-Collins has cut benefits every year for the last decade. Salaries have not kept pace with benefit cuts. In the past, Rockwell-Collins was known for slightly below-average salaries that kept pace with a lower Cedar Rapids cost-of-living and were compensated by industry-leading benefits - this is no longer true.

Rockwell-Collins is an entrenched Fortune 500 Defense/Aviation Contractor using 1980s processes and dated technology while attempting to compete in a modern economy. Rockwell-Collins excels at competing in enterprise and government markets where the cost of entry is measured in the millions of dollars and a high degree of regulatory expertise is required.

If you learned about a process or technology in college 10-15 years ago, odds are good that Rockwell-Collins is just now implementing it: Subversion? Enterprise standard as of 2013. Outlook? We're still using LotusNotes. Modern bug tracking? We've got IBM Rational Tools. Would you like to use a modern software process or technology? Something like Test-Driven Design, Agile, Distributed Version Control? Hopefully you end up in a group that's defying the company's own Enterprise Tools group.

Advice to Senior ManagementRockwell-Collins is not a company built to compete in a modern marketplace, nor is it a company building benefits and salaries in such a way that it acts like it wants to compete. Admittedly, you already know most of this, but it seems like there's a decided lack of will to act.

I worked with some of the most talented and gifted engineers and access to tremendous resources in avionics and defense.

Senior Electronics Technician (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Challenging, diverse, professional workplace with advancement opportunity. A good mix of… Cons: As a technician sometimes very difficult to handle engineers' egos and eccentricities. Sometimes engineers take… Advice to Senior Management: It was fun before "Lean Electronics" policy which I interpret… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Pays well but that's about it.

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Salary is competitive for most positions. Cons: Work life balance is not appropriate. Advice to Senior Management: Your employees are pushed to nearly their breaking point. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Rockwell Collins.

Worked for Rockwell Collins? Contribute to the Community!