There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

Overall Good experience, however depends on the manager you get.

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work here seem to be some of the best and brightest in the industry. While there are the people who seem to now know how to tie their own shoes they are easy enough to avoid. I have really enjoyed being able to learn from some very brilliant minds.

Cons

The defense industry is a difficult industry at this time specifically working on government contracts. Rockwell has taken alot of measures to counteract this however the situation has injected alot of unknowns into the work place.

Spend more time fighting for your engineering staff and working towards growing them. There will soon be a knowledge and skill gap that some very talented engineers can grow to fill with the right mentoring.

reviews filtered by

It may not be perfect, but most of my engineering colleagues that have left for the competitors want to come back.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large enough company you can switch to a new job if you don't like your current job.
    Engineers are rarely fired or laid off.
    Going above and beyond is rewarded when it comes to salary planning and occasionally with $500 pre paid visa gift cards.
    Customer feedback is almost always very positive for avionics systems.
    Technology is pretty advanced considering the enormous lead time required to certify civil avionics hardware.

Cons

Talented employees get assigned the most work & get the least recognition when they pull of nearly insurmountable feats to meet management expectations.
    Less talented engineers get promoted quickly because they are assigned little of any importance so they look good when they always get their work done.
    I'm single so this is just an annoyance for me, but the expectation for constant off hours support (nights, weekends, Christmas company shutdown) seems to cause domestic strife for married engineers with kids.
    Cedar Rapids kind of sucks.

Understaffing engineering for programs may save money in the short term by reducing payroll expenses with uncompensated overtime, but it will hurt the company in the long run when talented engineers consistently get burnt out and leave the company.

2. Wonderful company to work for

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits - lots of PTO. Employees are fun and pleasant to work with. Tuition reimbursement. Management is flexible and understanding.

Cons

No cons from when I was there

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins