Rockwell Collins

Best in Class

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Challenging Work
Management communicates frequently, is visible and supports team building events
On the spot instant compensation or rewards (movie tickets etc.)
Seems like more opportunies for new business
Great people that care!!!!

Cons

Busy and need some extra hours but doubt more than Google, Microsoft, Yahoo etc.

I''ve worked at a lot of other places (GE and Garmin) and hope you all realize the high quality of people you have here. This is the best place I've been in the aviation business

700 Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins (View Most Recent)

If you want to just coast along

Current Employee - Administration (Not Engineering) in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Administration (Not Engineering) in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Seems stable. Work moves very slowly and is very disorganized, so no need to do much in order to remain employed. Full complement of benefits. Good salary. I believe our CEO's vision should be strongly communicated down the chain with reinforcement and consequences.

Cons

Average tenure seems to be around 15 years. Many people have been here for 30 years. This definitely dulls the progress and innovation. Cedar Rapids seems to be out of touch with how many of the other locations perform and what impact they have. Improvements are launched, but personnel is not trained. Cohesion and direction is very weak and aimless. Morale is poor.

You have a good product and good potential, but the money you're spending on talent and improvements is not followed up with strong direction and management. Everyone should have a clear picture of where they're going and management should have a clear result for their investment from every individual, but the focus and common goal is missing.

No Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

The people that live in Cedar Rapids are fantastic and the city is without many of the issues seen at larger cities.

Rockwell has a lot of neat technology spread across government and commercial systems.

Cons

The commercial aerospace side of the business is out of control. Engineers bid the projects based on historical actuals and senior leadership will always cut the budget, compress the schedule, and add scope as you go. This practice leads to working a lot of overtime. Being a manager I know the philosophy is "You live in Cedar Rapids so where are they going to go?". I am fearful that these practices will drive out our skilled engineers while likely leading to below par products because we try to duct tape everything at the end. Sustained 50-70 hour weeks working a variety of shifts is no way to treat employees. BTW, 50-70 hours is an accurate account. Come join on and find out for yourself ;) ...You can have my spot :)

Fix it or lose customers like Honeywell.

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins