There are newer employer reviews for Roku

Solid and Serious

Current Employee - Developer  in  Saratoga, CA
Current Employee - Developer in Saratoga, CA

I have been working at Roku full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is stocked with committed people who know what they're doing. There's a sense of a shared vision, and little or no nonsense.

Cons

It' a gamble, but so is every business.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Roku (View Most Recent)

Horrific

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saratoga, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga, CA

I worked at Roku as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Close to my house. I can just fill up space to get to my 20 word minimum. There are truly no pros. I guess the snacks are good. There are some nice people that are trapped there as well.

Cons

I need way more than 20 words to say how unethical, small minded, and belittling. But, when the head of HR is unethical, you wouldn't expect much more than you get.

Actually, it would be advice to the Board. It's the upper management that is weak, lacks and sort of judgement or intelligence. Short sighted and in one department i particular, shows favoritism, is sexist, and pays more money to certain individuals. Highly unethical business practices going on.

Great product, Bad Leadership

I worked at Roku full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful area to work in, no bad traffic from surrounding boring tech offices. Many talented people work there, as much as they work hard, they play harder. Supposedly offers top market in salary.

Cons

-The CEO is involved in way too many things, however Senior Mgmt does not make a final decision on anything or often times fingers were pointed at different departments if anything went wrong.
    -Does not promote within/No growth. High turnover rate. Many employees left because a higher position was offered to an outside candidate
    -Poor benefits/Stock options.
    -No raises. They were few, far and between
    -Very poor communication. This is includes future projects, deals and even small changes within the company (like employees getting terminated or voluntarily leaving)-- extremely secretive.
    -Too many people "up top"--"many chiefs and not enough indians"
    -Extremely unprofessional environment, a lot of verbal arguments and outbursts. HR does not handle these.
    -A lot of favoritism, especially in departments. Engineering department was highly favored (probably because the CEO is an engineer) however, this meant other departments were not acknowledged for their hard work and also did not get their hiring needs met.
    -Employees treated like they were replaceable.

Accept the high turnover rate, but try to make a change by deterring employees from leaving, promote within. Realize that they are not the only "cool startup" in the Bay Area that great talent will work for.

There are newer employer reviews for Roku

Worked for Roku? Contribute to the Community!