Rolls-Royce

www.rolls-royce.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rolls-Royce

Started out great, now just disgruntled and miserable

Current Employee - Supply Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Supply Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

Money...some of the best in Indiana
Some of my co-workers have become my closest friends
Really good work experience

Cons

Will work you to the bone and take complete advantage of any individual's motivation to succeed and progress.
 Have gone from an entry-level position to leading a team of six people (in 2 years) without even changing salary grades or receiving compensation.
Expect you to be in your seat all day, every day or else the rumors will start flying that you're "not working."
Expect you to work, work, work and make you feel as though it is such an inconvenience if you need to take personal time or medical leave.
People hoard information because they think sharing means they might lose power over others.
The current office spaces are absolutely disgusting with cockroaches and mice crawling all over the place.
Never a 'thank you' for a job well done, can only point out when something goes wrong. Atmosphere is way to negative and stressful.
Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance.
If you're not an engineer, you have no future here.

Take some time out and actually listen to the people doing the work--you have no idea what is going on at the lowest levels of your organizations.
Stop selling services to our customers without a proper infrastructure to support in place.
If you don't start paying attention to the non-engineer talent in-house, you're not going to bring in new talent or retain good talent.
Forced distribution has been implemented--how about actually getting rid of the pieces of junk that are in the bottom 15% bringing down the organization? I thought that was the point in finding out who the worst players were??

358 Other Employee Reviews for Rolls-Royce (View Most Recent)

Good but performance and raise are not proportional.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

Good benefits and brand name

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and performance and lack of merit based pay.

Be a little more open minded and value talent based on the aptitude and attitude rather than the number of years experience.

Started out great then fizzled to extremely disappointing

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

Good compensation for younger employees
    Well defined work and technical environment
    Great ability to move around in the company
    Good potential for international travel, if you like that kind of stuff

Cons

Have decided to "global grade" the entire company which has resulted in significant benefit reductions for mid level senior engineers. Usually associated with multiple level demotions, loss of merit increases, and loss of executive bonus.
    Also, relocation of company to smaller facility downtown. Senior engineers now being given 3'X4 work area instead of previous office work environment. Do I need to explain what "hot-desking" is?

My advice to you is what my parents gave to me. Think before you act. If you think you are going to get senior engineers to stay while demoting them, cutting their pay, and removing them from the executive bonus program you're mistaken. The gas turbine job market is huge on a world-side basis. All I had to do was wait a year, and I got a $33K raise and a 15% increase in my bonus, along with 401K, and company ownership equity. Good luck RR, you'll need it.

Regarding John Rishton, he just started so he hasn't had time to screw it up yet.

There are newer employer reviews for Rolls-Royce