There are newer employer reviews for Rolls-Royce

Started out well, became a roller coaster, now is a disaster

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

DISCLAIMER; I am a contractor assigned to RR.

Matrix organization allows the company to dynamically relocate employees where needed so speedbumps (program cancellations for example) don't immediately lead to layoffs.

Good Pay. Generally helpful and friendly employees.

Cons

Hot Desking?!? Really?!? Lockers? No personal items on desks???

The office enviroment is the worst I've ever persnally endured and is now going to a smaller location where they planned for 1.2 employees per desk!

No consistency in first-level management. I've had four in two years Best Ever -> Worst ever -> Great -> and now so-so. The second one actually got me fired but was rehired after six-weeks off.

Health benefits are terrible. $7000 out of pocket threshhold. Company funds an HSA for $1000. The balance is on the employee.

Nearly impossible to hire on direct. 49 applications, 4 interviews, nothing. One interview with FedEx: hired!

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to reduce the permatemp workforce and work harder to retain valued talent.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good but performance and raise are not proportional.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

Good benefits and brand name

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and performance and lack of merit based pay.

Advice to Management

Be a little more open minded and value talent based on the aptitude and attitude rather than the number of years experience.

Started out great then fizzled to extremely disappointing

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

Good compensation for younger employees
    Well defined work and technical environment
    Great ability to move around in the company
    Good potential for international travel, if you like that kind of stuff

Cons

Have decided to "global grade" the entire company which has resulted in significant benefit reductions for mid level senior engineers. Usually associated with multiple level demotions, loss of merit increases, and loss of executive bonus.
    Also, relocation of company to smaller facility downtown. Senior engineers now being given 3'X4 work area instead of previous office work environment. Do I need to explain what "hot-desking" is?

Advice to Management

My advice to you is what my parents gave to me. Think before you act. If you think you are going to get senior engineers to stay while demoting them, cutting their pay, and removing them from the executive bonus program you're mistaken. The gas turbine job market is huge on a world-side basis. All I had to do was wait a year, and I got a $33K raise and a 15% increase in my bonus, along with 401K, and company ownership equity. Good luck RR, you'll need it.

Regarding John Rishton, he just started so he hasn't had time to screw it up yet.