Excellent Place to work

Former Employee - Catering Director in Fort Myers, FL
Former Employee - Catering Director in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Romano's Macaroni Grill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and overall company communication. Food is excellent. Great training program. Great flexibility.

Cons

Always changing menu, sometimes it is hard to remember all the changes. Advancement opportunities are limited, but they are present.

reviews filtered by
  1. great environment

Former Employee - Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Romano's Macaroni Grill full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, consistent pay, Always hours available to pick up extra money

Cons

hours, employ at will, so Managers seemed to always have jobs at risk.

Advice to Management

value employees in store level management a little higher

2. Horrible management and alot of work for very little reward and no respect.

Former Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Romano's Macaroni Grill part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An opportunity to learn in a very difficult environment. A chance to work along side some good people. Some ok food half off if you work at a clean location.

Cons

Corporate structure, so they look to make profit focusing on the bottom line and making their employees expendable. Now in the 3 years I was there the company was sold 3 different times and we went through 8 different managers. There were always 3-4 closing servers that were grandfathered in while the rest of the staff 9-13 or so servers would share pt so no benefits under 30 hours. They change the store quite a bit in an attempt to evolve to their new companies interest which caused the restaurant to lose it's appeal. Once a fun traditional Italian family restaurant offering good food in a wholesome atmosphere paper on tables, singers, and great (normally fattening) food from chiefs taught in Italy. Now a chain of watered down corporate stores, by that I mean they got rid of the expense of sending their chefs to Italy, the singers, they changed the atmosphere to a low quality trying to be hoity-toity restaurant with new outfits, napkins, and glasses. They mistreat their staff by.. constantly threatening the managers job if profits aren't seen right away, this creates stress in the workplace making everyone unhappy.. They would make the servers who work the longest clock out early and sometimes work hours off the clock to save on their profit outlook then give them no clout or say in the work place. Those same employees train new servers while on the clock with server pay and obviously no tips for weeks at a time. To the rest of their employees hiring so many servers/bussers/host that they can keep you at part time and give you the least benefits possible while at the same time not keeping a set schedule so it's harder to find work elsewhere. Stuffing the store with more tables for more seating, causing some spots to be awkward, also not accounting for the small kitchen that can't accommodate the new full house. They hike up prices a bit and push "deals! Deals! DEALS!" for quick profit.

GM's have always been on a power trip at my location, we had 1 good temporary gm the rest were lazy, arrogant, demanding, and selfish. They wouldn't help in the operation besides expo-ing and prep-ing from time to time. Most of the time if they worked they would only be on the floor for a few hours trying to be very chauvinistic with their power trying to demand respect by calling employee's out on corporate policies or nit picky things. They would also pressure the other managers causing them stress which went on to the other employees.

Managers would get stressed out because of the state they were forced to put the staff in day after day and dealing with the guest complaints from a constantly understaffed poorly run team. Also, from competing statistics on how many coupons or sales are brought in each store and the reward or punishment that comes with it. GM's that are apparently given an absolute power and say in which they can use to push others to work while they relax, do some paper work, and take long payed vacations. Most of these people were unqualified and unable to preform their duty well, taking favorites with employees, not enforcing that everyone pitch in and do their fare share of sidework, one harassed employees before getting fired, handling every complaint by apologizing and instantly throwing free food to guest, some not helping out around the store themselves, and taking long breaks during their shifts. But for the most part those who were not in the gm position tried, they were somewhat helpful and understanding.

Servers I talked about earlier in relation to ft/pt.. but in general now.. You will be triple sat. This is going to happen because the front is commonly run by incompetent untrained understaffed overwhelmed hosts and managers. I started as a host here and it's not easy so I have complete understanding for them and we had a few good ones.. My location we could get up to as many tables as we wanted or that were forced on you. So there was opportunity to make money but alot of times they are sat inconsistently making it hard. Making it worse is sidework is done by 1or2 hard working servers while the rest take advantage. This causes messes and everything to run out making busy days a complete mess. At my location business was very inconsistent as well, you could work 3 hours for 3 tables and most of the time is spent on sidework or you could get slammed and make an ok amount. I left when the new corporate had added more servers giving us smaller sections on busy days and less hours during the week. Also on full days our kitchen would commonly crash being to small for the new seating, causing alot of frustration and complaints everywhere. My location on top of items running out and not being restocked, our dishwasher (the machine) did a bad job on glasses, and we would commonly not have the tools needed to provide quality service. Tips are pooled and go to the host/busser/bar same no matter how well they do, how many drinks you ordered, or if a busser was on, your basically forced pay their salary so the corporate office could cut their pay check with the new system in place.

Hosting here you are a seater, a togo person, you take reservations, you run food, you clean and restock bathrooms, you restock misc front items, you keep the front clean, you bus and set tables, you open the door for guest. Thats what your expected to do atleast, but with basically no training and very little management the host generally play on their phone if not seating. This job can be so straining though that it had the highest turn over rate before I arrived and after I left.

Bussing, your hours are low because they didn't get the business to have them on more than holidays or weekends. Tip rate is so/so but for the work it's hard to say if it worth it. when you do work it's normally one person cleaning about 40 tables. Unless your a very fast hard working busser the servers wont even notice you getting to one of their 6-20 tables. Your also needed to help with sidework and running food.

Runners - no longer a position everyone run food, great idea.. no, not really. this became another chore and obstacle that the whole store need to rally on to avoid complaints. Those who did it once again rarely got credit for their efforts.

Nasty location, I don't know about other Romans but my location was laughably gross. We got towels in our pipes somehow so our pipes would over flow by the dish pit in a blackish bad smelling soup puddle on the floor. Our bar would emit an extremely foul odor when it's sink would drain. Our roof leaked when it rained or snowed, it also bubbled up in wet spots, some of this was over our line near food, and some over the bar on guest. Roaches all over in the back near the trash is one thing, but when they started showing up in salads and boxes of sugar and who knows where else it was time to stop eating there. Ants crawling all over, and a semi sticky floor thats never cleaned anymore. I know this nastiness really isn't a laughing matter but when you inform management and they do nothing to actually improve the environment but invest in make tons of cosmetic changes what else can you do?

Advice to Management

Quick profit bottom line thinking is short sited and doomed to fail. Corroding your business foundation by mistreating and underpaying your lowest employees, the ones who work directly with your customers, will lead to failure.