Rose Financial Services

www.rosefinancial.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rose Financial Services

Financial Accounting, not Public Accounting

I worked at Rose Financial Services

Pros

Peers are great
Relaxed enviornment
A lot of experience gained with financial accounting functions and various accounting software
Growing company
Excellent business idea- accounting outsourcing

Cons

Work may get redundent at times
Although it is a CPA firm, it is not a public accounting firm per se, so compensation is relatively lower than CPA firms in the area.
The nature of the business breeds bad clients
Senior management rarely communicates with lower level staff
Huge power distance between staff and senior management
Training is really poor, you are basically thrown a project and told to figure it out at least 75% of the time with minimal training or zero training at all.

Keep adjusting as you grow, but try to talk and interact more with staff. Learn systems such as SAP to get larger, more impressive clients. Create legit training programs rather than powerpoint slides and video's. Don't wait until the last minute to make necessary HR adjustments. Keep reeling in the clients!

13 Other Employee Reviews for Rose Financial Services (View Most Recent)

Great place to learn and acquire new skills

I have been working at Rose Financial Services

Pros

Great people
    Fair compensation
    Good place to start career
    Room for growth
    Opportunity for advancement
    Company leader is very knowledgeable and you can learn a lot from him

Cons

Paltry bonuses and bad bonus structure
    PTO is very rigid and needs two tier approval
    Benefits are poor
    Need more training for employees
    Seniors and higher work very long hours and everyday is busy season!

#1 provide more training for employees
    #2 Create departments that specialize in certain products/services as opposed to the Greek system.
    #3 Provide better and larger bonuses.

Loved Working at RFS

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• Great stepping stone to new career, if Financial Accounting is your choice of Profession
    • Lots of learning experiences and resources. As an accountant, I had the opportunity to work on projects I did not think I would be permitted to anywhere else. The trust that was placed in me to execute on critical projects definitely allowed me to grow immensely through the experience
    • Opportunity for advancement. I ended up as a Team Leader from staff accountant in five years. I know six other people who experienced the same growth. Just do your work and you will get the proper recognition.
    • Lots of peer support. You become really good friends with your peer group. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees.
    • Benefits - Genuinely good benefits in compare to similar size entities. – 4 weeks of vacation, 2 days floating holidays, paid off for CPE time, competitive health insurance, disabilities insurance, Cafeteria Plan, competitive match in retirement benefit, etc..
    • Responsible for community – RFS Gives Back Private Foundations encourage employees to philanthropic engagement.
    • Events - RFS also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. I have been to a comedy show, two ice hockey games, several picnics, employee appreciation week, etc...
    • Work Life Balance - Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. In my team, I was very flexible in managing my employee’s expectations. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that I had to be on my phone and email all the time. But that was expected only for the team leaders and above.
    • The best thing I can say is that working at RFS makes me a great accounting professional. RFS was my first accounting job in the US, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to grow myself professionally. I didn't experience any major setbacks and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with providing excellent service to their respective clients and making the best out of the time spent on doing it.

Cons

• RFS expects a lot out of employees and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since RFS is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.
    • Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis. At the same token, employees also need to ask for the right training. While I was working as Tax Manager, they sent me to tax conferences.
    • Communication: I think the biggest change I want to see at RFS is the communication between management and employees. There were communications at times, but those were not clearly translated to their roles.

I can’t give any advice to management. I worked closely with Ted, Tim and Jeanne for long time. Ted created RFS from scratch and ran it for 20 years. He knows lot more than any of the past and present employees. I can just say this; I loved working for RFS and would absolutely refer them to my friends.

There are newer employer reviews for Rose Financial Services