Rosen Hotels and Resorts

GooD Company bad management

Current Employee - IT Room Tech  in  Orlando, FL
Current Employee - IT Room Tech in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Health Benefits plus 401k and Educational Benefits

Cons

I always thought that a fun experiment would be to tell someone that they only had 45 hours this week to accomplish their work. I bet we would all be surprised by the efficiencies and innovation that would come out of it. The fact that this profession will permit, and even worse, reward those who work such ridiculous hours exposes a fundamental flaw in the collective thinking of the industry. After all, we are not teaching our young staff to find better, more effective ways to do anything. But rather, we are simply showing them how to put their career before their family and personal life. We do not encourage that people take risks, try something new, or go out on a limb. We take the easy, safe route...we just work more. In the process we are rewarding many who are poor managers, poor developers and are stagnant in their own development.

Keep up with training like getting master or MBA also.
To be the best manager you can be, learn to control your emotions so you can handle the pressure without jumping all over your team every time a mistake occurs. It’s also vital to manage the expectations of your boss so you can minimize the stress placed on you in the first place. Don’t try to reason with your boss when he or she is angry. When your boss is in a good mood, discuss the damage that losing your temper can have on employee morale, retention and productivity. Then when a crisis happens and your boss gets angry, remind him or her about your agreement that if you get angry with your team you will do more harm than good. Do some reading on stress management as well.

To use your time well, follow the 80-20 rule. Allocate 20 percent of your time to the strategic matters that most interest you and 80 percent to developing, coaching, facilitating and motivating your team. Spend some time every week with each individual team member asking questions and doing a lot of listening. Ask what work they are most and least enjoying, what they would like to do more of or less of, what they would like to learn and what they need from you. Also, importantly, seek their input on work related issues rather than trying to be the person with all the answers. There is no better way of showing people you value them than to ask them for their opinion. Of course you have to listen genuinely and not just go through the motions like a store clerk mechanically telling you to have a great day.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Rosen Hotels and Resorts (View Most Recent)

Could Be Better

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Has all the resources to be better. Great associates to work with. Great money because it's a convental hotel. There were some incredibly smart and innovative individuals there who have potential to promote Rosen Hotel and Resorts as a world class hotel. Harris Rosen is a good man, and likes to instill good core values.

Cons

Management was terrible. Many people in management lacked substantial experience, but got lucky so they landed the job. Luckily there was a strong staff to make up where management lacked. Inconsistent money, if you're working on a tipped employee. Doesn't really give a chance for good employees to move up.

Actually hire people with experience, and not just base off of interviews.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Technician  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I believe the benefits are fair for the area. Overall everyone around here is very nice, and I do believe Mr. Rosen really does care for his employees

Cons

The pay is a little lacking, and the benefits have dropped over the years

There are newer employer reviews for Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Worked for Rosen Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!