There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Cheapest company around

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible with schedule, nice co-workers

Cons

High turnover rate, poor training, constantly changing standards that make little sense, always have someone looking over your shoulder, untrusting of their employees. I once heard my manager in an interview tell a potential employee that Ross doesn't pay as much as other stores but they make up for it with employee benefits. The person was interviewing for a part-time job that paid minimum wage. The benefits are nice but in reality, if they were to enroll in all of them, or even a few, they wouldn't have a paycheck left.

906 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

A company headed in the wrong direction.

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There aren't really "pros" to working here, per se, but a great benefit to working here is the associate discount (20% normally, changes to 40% for about 3-4 days 3 times a year).

Cons

There is very, very poor compensation at this company. The part-time associates generally start off at minimum wage (not entirely too uncommon for a company of this size and it being retail). Here's the kicker though: these same minimum wage part-time employees are given increasing responsibilities and being increasingly micro-managed without giving wage increases. This isn't fair. For lead positions and supervisor positions, the compensation is basically a slap in the face. Key carriers (excluding ASMs and SMs here) have a tremendous amount of responsibilities that they are expected to keep up with. The compensation for these positions is generally no more than 2-3 dollars than minimum wage. Are we really to take on the brunt of the customer service issues, operational issues, and other store issues but only receive a dollar or two more than someone who is part-time? ASMs work very hard and new additions (read: most of the time from TJX) actually are hired on with a higher starting pay than the ASMs that have been there for years.

The communication of this company can be summed up in one word - terrible. District managers are (probably) under constant Zone and Region pressure to keep on top of stores, so we end up hearing 35 different things about a single program. If you have a chance to ask each level of management the same question about the same topic, you will get a different, contradictory answer each time.

The recognition has been a big problem with this company for as long as I have been here. The only real "thank you" that part-time associates get is a piece of paper saying "to:", "from:", and "for:." The only "thank you" the management team gets is the lack of one. If we don't hear from our DM, we assume we've done the job right. Their remedy for the recognition problem this year? Train and develop more.

The return policy is generally not adhered to. District managers forbid the store team to refuse returns, tell the customer "no," and stand up for themselves. Certain customers know this and willfully, faithfully, and religiously exploit us. Because of this, stores are forced to return just about everything and ones that don't are "dealt with" by DMs and above.

Scheduling and payroll are two things that are probably bottom of the barrel at this company. We are stretched thin every week with a skeleton crew. Then, multiple times throughout the week and especially at the end of the fiscal month, we are told to cut payroll (DMs don't care about whether or not we've had people call out - you have to cut $100 like they say). If that wasn't bad enough, they expect the teams to do the same amount of work (with regards to recovery, truck processing, and line-control) with less people. How, in a retail setting, do you expect us to do less with more? Especially when the company keeps attracting more and more customers!

We are not allowed to approach customers in an unfriendly manner. They could literally be knocking items off of an endcap or have their children removing all the riding toys from their box. What does Ross corporate say we have to do? Smile at them and tell them hello. That's all. Never mind the fact that the same child just defecated on the floor in the bathroom - don't you dare approach the parent of this unruly child!

If you're "Green" or environmentally friendly, this company will be the devil to you. Each store (over 1,000) gets 2 color 20-page presentation guide every month. They'll go on and on about how they care about the environment, but then they'll send you literally 250-page guides when re-merchandising is necessary.

The bottom line is that this company puts the priority of the customer in front of its own people. They don't realize that without us they would have no customers, no sales, and no money. They would gladly stab thousands of employees rather then lose one customer. Since we can't tell them "no," we constantly look like buffoons in front of customers when our bosses trump our decisions. It's sad. I often wonder if the shareholders of this company actually have an idea of what this company is doing or if they just blindly invested in a profitable company. This company micro-manages its employees so unbelievably much that it is driving the long-term employees out the door. We are timed how long it takes us to scan one item, how long it takes us to total it, how long it takes us to give the customer receipt, how long it takes us to process the truck, and will be timed in how long we take to mark an item down in the near future.

Fix the above. And don't insult me by telling me that you're working on recognition by revising the way a TRUE Card looks.

Area Supervisor

Current Employee - Area Supervisor
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

20% discount on brand name clothing, shoes, and 10% on jewelry and fragrances.
     reasonable dress code, blue shirt, black pants.

Cons

Horrible customers, i mean the worst of the worst. feces on the bathroom floor, spilled baby formula, discarded sodas, drinks on shelves,screaming kids left alone in shopping carts, blatent theft, threats to cashiers and management, unsanitary working conditions, tempature in store is controlled by corperate, meaning whatever the weather is like in california, that's what the thermostat is set at.

adress issues your employees communicate to you, as the're on the sales floor, not hiding in the office
     corperate is trying to put better practices in place, but management is to scared to say anything for fear of their jobs, putting the burden instead on sales associates, causing a HUGE turnaround.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!