Ross Stores

www.rossstores.com
  www.rossstores.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Great store to work at, minimal hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfield, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The fellow employees are great, you make friends really quickly, plus there's an excellent discount. You also have a fantastic opportunity to move around and try different positions. Awesome managers who are very willing to work with their employee's personal situations.

Cons

Not a lot of hours, minimum wage, angry customers, new managers

Give people more hours, check with them constantly about their availability in case it changes, don't call 10 minutes before you want an employee to cover a shift

1041 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

Very challenging position but not rewarding

Former Employee - Store Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

people you work with are great!! an if you are lucky you will have a DM that is really understanding of the retail world

Cons

no recognition for anything unless it is negative, associates have more rights than management just need to threaten they will tell HR, then what ever they say is right an you are wrong

although you are making your numbers, you should be more concerned with why your tentured management personal are leaving. It is time for some regionals to retire especially in your southeast division, they do not support a team atmosphere an do not follow Ross policy they make there own.

Stay away from this place at all costs!

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the pros to working here is that management does a good job of building relationships with the employees and trying to find something in common with them. Beyond that the only other advantage might be the fact that you get to meet various people with the customers that you serve.

Cons

The disadvantages to working here far outweigh the advantages and I don't even know where to start.

. First of all, when you are told you are hired for part time work it truly is part time. The company considers part time to be below 20 hours a week and full time is 37.5 hours a week. Nothing in between. I know of several employees at my store who were getting 4 to 8 hours a week because they hired so many employees.

. Also, this job starts out paying minimum wage, which where I work is $7.65 an hour, and when you only work 8 hours that is under 98 dollars a week! You simply can't survive off of a job like this. Another disadvantage to working here is how much work you have to do for so little pay. It seems as though you do so much work, especially during night recovery where you have to pick up a certain department, that goes unrecognized and you don't feel appreciated by management. Management continually expects you to do more and more with fewer and fewer resources each week. For instance, when I first started we would have four people on the floor for recovery, a lead cashier, and the fitting room person. However, for the past several months we have been closing with 2 or 3 people on the floor, a lead cashier, and a fitting room person. This simply doesn't work because customers continually make a mess of the store, there is so much they want you to do, and it doesn't flow properly like it should.

. Finally, getting a promotion in this place is nearly impossible. You have to brown nose up to management to get a promotion and I have never seen anyone promoted in my store in the year and a half that I have been employed there. There simply is no room to grow and if they do tell you that you are getting promoted from part time to full time or from a retail associate to backup MOD or area supervisor don't believe them. Its not going to happen because they will trick you into thinking that, but then hire someone from the outside to take your spot!

Raise the wage amounts from their current level and make it something more reasonable for all the work that we do. Also, instead of doing yearly reviews do reviews every three months and base them off of seniority. On top of this start giving more hours every week to associates and think to yourself, "If that were me, could I live off 8 hours a week making $7.65 an hour?" before you make the schedule every week. Finally, start showing the associates more appreciation for all of the hard work that we do. I know there is the Star of the Month program and TRUE cards, but this doesn't show enough appreciation because management never writes star cards to all associates. They only write STAR cards to those that brown nose up to them and those that are considered favorites.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores