Fun, fast paced & challenging

Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great merchandise, opportunity for advancement, good benefits

Cons

Never enough payroll and difficult to find and keep associates. Store is filthy even with daily housekeeping.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It was alright...if not for my coworkers I wouldn't have lasted very long.

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were AWESOME. They truly made going to work bearable. Managers were for the most part very nice as far as personality is concerned, but some of their decisions (mainly staffing and scheduling related) were very, very poor.

Cons

-Low pay, and they only evaluate for raises once a year.
    -Management is overly concerned with payroll...as such, they regularly under-schedule and as a result too few associates are working for the store to run as smoothly as it can. Or, they won't schedule enough people, then realize it the day before, and go on a desperate crusade via phone to find someone who can come in.
    -Clientele is terrible. It's an off-price store, so unfortunately many of the people you have to deal with are lower-class individuals and not at all polite or courteous. Be prepared to do A LOT of returns, by the way....I swear there are says when I had more returns than purchases. It's extremely hard to be "FAST" (their acronym for speed on the register) when you have people coming in with bags and bags of returns that have to be processed and dealt with.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees so much.
    Schedule the proper amount of people so our work experience isn't completely miserable. You all seem to care more about payroll than your workers or even customers. When you schedule 3 people to close on a Friday night, everyone suffers. Man up and schedule the proper personnel numbers, even if it means taking a slight ding in profit.

2. Not Worth the headache

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In tough times it is a job, but that's it.

Cons

Not stable at all. Your hours flex up and down every week. One week you'll have 25 hours, the next you'll only have 10 hours and sometimes less. You'll be hired for one position but then they'll throw you all over the store scheduling you on the stock team one day and a cashier the next and so on.

Advice to Management

Give your employees decent hours. Who can make it off of 10 hours a week at minimum wage?