There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Minimal orientation, training, or trust from management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, solid growth and expansion for a retail company, ambitious store growth over next ten years, okay discount benefit

Cons

Little employee development, managers are encouraged to operate very politically with lots of secrets and poor communication; plenty of project analysis but little change to long standing procedures. Lots of employees seem unhappy, but stuck there due to poor job market.

Advice to Management

Managers should learn to thank their employees frequently for the work they do. Unless systems and procedures are updated the current company model will not work in 10 years.

reviews filtered by

Great experience to understand off price retail!

Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Profitable company that delivers consistent financial results. Track record of strong store growth and exceeding company sales and profit goals.

Cons

Very top heavy in senior management. Processes took a great deal of time due to the number of decision makers invloded. Company does not always respond to feedback from team to ipmprove morale and working conditions.

Advice to Management

Empower your managers to make decisions and lead teams

It was alright...if not for my coworkers I wouldn't have lasted very long.

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were AWESOME. They truly made going to work bearable. Managers were for the most part very nice as far as personality is concerned, but some of their decisions (mainly staffing and scheduling related) were very, very poor.

Cons

-Low pay, and they only evaluate for raises once a year.
    -Management is overly concerned with payroll...as such, they regularly under-schedule and as a result too few associates are working for the store to run as smoothly as it can. Or, they won't schedule enough people, then realize it the day before, and go on a desperate crusade via phone to find someone who can come in.
    -Clientele is terrible. It's an off-price store, so unfortunately many of the people you have to deal with are lower-class individuals and not at all polite or courteous. Be prepared to do A LOT of returns, by the way....I swear there are says when I had more returns than purchases. It's extremely hard to be "FAST" (their acronym for speed on the register) when you have people coming in with bags and bags of returns that have to be processed and dealt with.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees so much.
    Schedule the proper amount of people so our work experience isn't completely miserable. You all seem to care more about payroll than your workers or even customers. When you schedule 3 people to close on a Friday night, everyone suffers. Man up and schedule the proper personnel numbers, even if it means taking a slight ding in profit.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores