There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job, especially for a first job! The system is easy to understand. 20% discount. Flexible scheduling. Not all customers were bad and were a joy to serve.

Cons

New employees were hardly trained- I was given a couple of hours my first day and then the next day was on my own. Many of the customers were hard to please. Management seemed clueless about certain things. A lot of my co-workers didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing so it definitely affects how things got done.

905 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

Great company benefits and bonus.

Former Employee - Buyer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Ross Stores as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Ross Stores has a friendly corporate culture. The buying job has reasonable goals and management trusts you to get the job done without their medling.

Cons

Offices are dark and a bit depressing, not many windows. Store visits are grueling and disappointing because store line doesn't excute properly and merchandising is a mess

Stay supportive of team. Great people on board.

Depends on Your DM

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was a SM who took over a trash dump called Ross. The old Manager let everyone do whatever they wanted so he was very popular. All he did was stand in front of the store and smoke all day according to employees. The pay was good...not great. Discount helped out a lot. Poor choice in Hindsight.

Cons

Other retailers look at Ross as a stepchild that they want nothing to do with! Your career will take a decidedly big downturn after leaving Ross. Ross started talking about age and pay both being too high and the DM kept putting pressure to cut hours and do more with less trying to drive me out.

I talked with upper Management about the lack of respect and comments about my age and was told that the DM didn't mean anything and that he had reported deficiencies to upper management about the store. We had a full bonus for 3 years straight which meant that we hit all required matrixes set forth by the company. After changing from a good DM, to the lousy one, He continued to assault my ASM with comments like "Are you going to improve or what?" As long as you are in the good graces...fine. When you get over 50 and make a decent living......WATCH OUT! As a last statement about Ross. After leaving Ross, I have applied at several top-notch retailers and they have told me that Ross is basically a blemish on anyone's resume"

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!