Good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, especially for a first job! The system is easy to understand. 20% discount. Flexible scheduling. Not all customers were bad and were a joy to serve.

Cons

New employees were hardly trained- I was given a couple of hours my first day and then the next day was on my own. Many of the customers were hard to please. Management seemed clueless about certain things. A lot of my co-workers didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing so it definitely affects how things got done.

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. Great company benefits and bonus.

Former Intern - Buyer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Ross Stores as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ross Stores has a friendly corporate culture. The buying job has reasonable goals and management trusts you to get the job done without their medling.

Cons

Offices are dark and a bit depressing, not many windows. Store visits are grueling and disappointing because store line doesn't excute properly and merchandising is a mess

Advice to Management

Stay supportive of team. Great people on board.

A slow decline

I worked at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

Three times a year the employee discount of 20% is doubled. You will save so much money on Christmas presents. Really, the merchandise is pretty good.

Cons

Low pay (obviously). Practically non-existent benefits if you're part-time - and if you're not management you will be part-time. This company defines the word "tightwad". It was not unusual for store employees to run out of wrapping paper, shopping bags, even receipt paper. Supplies wouldn't run out in just one store, but an entire district. Also there were never enough cashiers and floor people on the weekend. Why? Because payroll would get used up in the beginning of the week in the stock room. Don't get me wrong, stock room people are important, seeing as how they actually get stuff unpacked and unto the floor. But its frustrating for customers when they come in on Saturdays (the busiest shopping day of the week) and there's barely any cashiers and no one on the floor to help them. Because those employees got their hours cut. Ross tries to get away with as few employees in a store as possible, which is common in this industry. But they cut things so close that if one person called out or didn't show (and that happened a lot) every thing collapsed. No one to help lift a heavy piece of furniture for a customer, so we would lose a sale and have an angry customer. No one to take clothing from the fitting room, so there would be piles and piles of apparel filling shopping carts because all the racks were full. No one to get shopping carts from the parking lot. Also, scheduling was chaotic. Getting vacation time redeemed was a mess, too. My advice? The only reason you should work here is because you're young, in school, and need a bit of spending money. As soon as you've drained all possible benefits from that, head for the hills and never look back.

Advice to Management

Free up some money from the budget so the stores can run more smoothly. And remember that operations-level people are as important to the bottom line as the executives. We were the ones who dealt with the customers every day.