I learned much on people development and the value of consistent execution of process and procedure.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Northridge, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Definite opportunities for advancement, and good pay. Great people down to earthe and authentic in their values.

Cons

Very lean business model. Management will be utilized on registers and for physical merchandising.

I would advise to process merchandise at an extended distribution center. This would assist the store by primarily focusing labor on customer service, presentation, and people development.

Other Reviews for Ross Stores

May work for some but definitely was uncomfortable and turned me off being a buyer

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer I  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer I in New York, NY

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Less Cattiness then at other fashion companies
     ALOT of work and personal responsibility so you have exposure to enough things
    You are given a fair amount of freedom over your buys if you can defend it.

Cons

-The overuse of temps (keeping a year then firing and getting new ones) slows down job functions when ever 6mo you have to retrain new temps, especially when the ones you had were AMAZING!

-Division of buying categories often led to overlap for buyers, making it harder to not get Catty if your sales were going elsewhere
    -All lands on your buyer, if they are too busy to train or leave town often you may learn nothing
    -Unrealistic Goals
    -Additional reporting to higher ups that can impede some of your higher priority work
    -Long work hours
    -Different categories have different responsibilities, so one assistant can get all they need done with time to spare while another has another 3 hours on their day, but are considered at the same level and looked at as equals in relation to promotions.
    -A handful of the management people seem a bit racist and definitely sexist.

Start new buyers with people that have TIME to train. Starting a new buyer that has a HUGE business is overwhelming and they will eventually burn out.

Best Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

My boss was flexible in scheduling me and compassionate about personal issues, the work goes by fast because you're always busy, pay is decent.

Cons

Some of the workers can be a bit catty if you're really nice; they think you're fake at first

It would behoove you to find out how it is the manager in Downtown San Diego runs his store, and implement his style nationwide.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!