Ross Stores
www.rossstores.com Pleasanton, CA 5000+ Employees

May work for some but definitely was uncomfortable and turned me off being a buyer

Assistant Buyer I (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsLess Cattiness then at other fashion companies
 ALOT of work and personal responsibility so you have exposure to enough things
You are given a fair amount of freedom over your buys if you can defend it.

Cons-The overuse of temps (keeping a year then firing and getting new ones) slows down job functions when ever 6mo you have to retrain new temps, especially when the ones you had were AMAZING!

-Division of buying categories often led to overlap for buyers, making it harder to not get Catty if your sales were going elsewhere
-All lands on your buyer, if they are too busy to train or leave town often you may learn nothing
-Unrealistic Goals
-Additional reporting to higher ups that can impede some of your higher priority work
-Long work hours
-Different categories have different responsibilities, so one assistant can get all they need done with time to spare while another has another 3 hours on their day, but are considered at the same level and looked at as equals in relation to promotions.
-A handful of the management people seem a bit racist and definitely sexist.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart new buyers with people that have TIME to train. Starting a new buyer that has a HUGE business is overwhelming and they will eventually burn out.

If you want to succeed, you will definitely have the opportunity, while working for Ross.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: They are always updating their programs to promote efficiency, and customer service .Several… Cons: I do feel like raises could be more frequent than… Advice to Senior Management: No advice for current management, since I'm learning on… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

let me tell you about me experience so far......

Management (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros: Within the retail world, this company is growing leaps and bounds. The opportunity for advancement is up to you. The environment in the store if… Cons: Pay is not very competitive, especially for dedicated, loyal workers. This seems to be the consensus across the board. At times the work is demanding… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Ross Stores.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ross Stores CEO Michael A. Balmuth. All reviews posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees.