Ross Stores

www.rossstores.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Working at Ross is an easy way to get customer service and cash-handling experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, 20% employee discount and 40% discount twice a year, ability to move up to management position fairly quickly.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits for part-time employees, late nights cleaning the store at the end of the day depending on how busy the store was.

1155 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

I learned much on people development and the value of consistent execution of process and procedure.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Definite opportunities for advancement, and good pay. Great people down to earthe and authentic in their values.

Cons

Very lean business model. Management will be utilized on registers and for physical merchandising.

I would advise to process merchandise at an extended distribution center. This would assist the store by primarily focusing labor on customer service, presentation, and people development.

May work for some but definitely was uncomfortable and turned me off being a buyer

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer I in New York, NY

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Less Cattiness then at other fashion companies
     ALOT of work and personal responsibility so you have exposure to enough things
    You are given a fair amount of freedom over your buys if you can defend it.

Cons

-The overuse of temps (keeping a year then firing and getting new ones) slows down job functions when ever 6mo you have to retrain new temps, especially when the ones you had were AMAZING!

-Division of buying categories often led to overlap for buyers, making it harder to not get Catty if your sales were going elsewhere
    -All lands on your buyer, if they are too busy to train or leave town often you may learn nothing
    -Unrealistic Goals
    -Additional reporting to higher ups that can impede some of your higher priority work
    -Long work hours
    -Different categories have different responsibilities, so one assistant can get all they need done with time to spare while another has another 3 hours on their day, but are considered at the same level and looked at as equals in relation to promotions.
    -A handful of the management people seem a bit racist and definitely sexist.

Start new buyers with people that have TIME to train. Starting a new buyer that has a HUGE business is overwhelming and they will eventually burn out.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores