Ross Stores

www.rossstores.com
  www.rossstores.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Probably the EASIEST retail you will ever do..

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Hollywood, CA
Former Employee - Retail Associate in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Most of the work is VERY easy. because there is a good system for the way everything works, it is easy to run go-backs, easy to clean the store, easy to work the cash register, and because you don't have to fold anything (everything hangs up, particularly the clothing), putting things away is very easy to do.
-Work can be steady for the most part (may have same hours for 3 weeks in a row, then schedule will change for another week, etc etc)
-Direct deposit
-Upward mobility is extremely easy as long as you make yourself available and do what is asked of you.
-Coworkers were very sweet for the most part.
-Store manager where I worked was pretty awesome, though I understand this can vary from store to store.
-Discount is decent at 20% and it's for name-brand clothing, like Calvin Klein or Guess, etc.
-Discount is even usable on sale and clearance items, not just regular-priced items.
-Raise every six months.
-Closing is easy, because again, they have a system for everything, so getting the store back up to par once the customers are out of the store is a breeze. I can't recall a single time that I stayed more than an hr past closing time in my experience.
-You pretty much have a uniform you have to wear (blue top with black pants or black skirt and black work-safe shoes).
-Working at the cash register can be interesting and definitely makes your shift go faster which is always good.
-Very generous with hours, and will often call you for extra hrs, or even ask you if you would like to clock in early and get an override for a lunch. In addition to that, there is always someone who needs a shift covered, so that's another way to pick up more hours if you need them.
-Delicious refreshments in the break room a lot of the time, and coworkers are even generous enough to sometimes bring food from home for everyone to eat.
-If your store is the cleanest in the district, you get monthly pizza parties, and rewards.
-Rewarding employees and employee value is high here as a result.
-Job is transferrable. You would move to a store as far out as San Francisco as long as you are in good standing with the company.
-Rarely get denied a day off, if done within the allotted time frame, and policies and procedures are met.

Cons

-Starting pay-rate is minimum wage and non-negotiable, even if you have experience.
-Sometimes felt overworked and underpaid as a result, or that I wasn't getting paid what I should be for my talents.
-Store could get messy at times, especially during the middle of the day, and you are expected to constantly recover your section, even when it is impossibly messy.
-Ross probably has some of the rudest customers I have ever encountered.A lot of them are the most snobbish, most self-entitled, impatient individuals I have ever seen. Since it is discounted retail, it is expected though I guess. I have never met a customer that made my blood boil before working at Ross.
-Some of the customers frequently try altering or ruining clothing just so that they can get a discount. Or they will try to switch tags to pay a lower price for an item, or even switch tags for a higher price when returning an item, so they can try to get more cash back. It's pretty ridiculous. Then they try to yell at them because you couldn't allow them to get over on you or the store, and because you are simply following policies and procedures aka just doing your job.
-Uniform/dress code may be an issue if you are not into blue and black. I had no problem with it, but just saying.

Offer higher starting pay, or at least a negotiable salary for someone who has more experience. I understand you want folks to be equal and start at the bottom of the ladder, but offering pay so low is bad for people who have bills and other responsibilities. As a result we have to work twice as as many hours to satisfy needs. To clarify, I am neither here nor there on whether or not I'd recommend this place to a friend. Maybe to a beginner with literally NO retail experience, like a teen on a first job. But not to a more seasoned associate, solely based on the low starting salary.

1041 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

Not to bad, room to grow

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Discount is nice, there are opportunities to move up, just be patient. There are more stores opening every year so chances to move around too.

Cons

some people who are in a supervisor role shouldn't make it that high, seems like some kid can just apply and become some kind of key holder.

Have an open line of communication with the associates, they will appreciate it.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Director in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of opportunites. Always on the move. There are more projects to do than available capacity. Never a shortage of exciting work.

Cons

Company is not aggressive about remediating or upgrading legacy applications and systems. Business has to on occassion rely on process to compensate for technology.

keep doing the good work.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores