Ross Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Horrible

Current Employee - Retail Associate
Current Employee - Retail Associate

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

some of the co-workers are nice

Cons

customers are exceptionally rude compared to other stores

Stop hiding in the back

1151 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

Everyone is the boss until it's time to manage.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ross Stores

Pros

Employee discounts, fast paced, customers you know by name

Cons

No organization, broken chain of command, paycheck issues, no communication, lack of leadership, lack of respect, lack of response, no concern for welfare of employees, negative energy, attitudes, and atmosphere...basically, the inmates think they're running the asylum, but in reality no-one is so they're all of their meds!

Managers should be promoted from within the company based on merit and track record. Hiring off of the street doesn't bring in new blood...it hardly warms a chair with a faint pulse. It creates issues among the ranks as the seasoned associates and assistant managers are forced to carry the load in order to deliver the treasure. Unfortunately, too many times it is because the warm body who was hired to do the job can't and or won't...especially when they don't have to (the perfectly capable assistant who was passed over is trying to shuffle both positions). To make matters worse, the pay (if you can get your check and then if you can cash it) is so low for the supposed high standards that are expected, understaffed and overworked conditions, that if Ross is able to attract capable people, they only put in the percentage they feel they get back. Nothing from nothing leaves...a store full of nasty, fighting people after the smart ones find new jobs with a companies that work on the mission statement instead of just hanging it on the wall and compensates good people for good efforts.

Fast paced and hectic - but fun, no doubt.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great management - for my store anyways. We are like a big family and they actually listen to suggestions, complaints and actually visit. They do what they can with in Ross policies or what is available.
    Employee discount - 20% on certain times a year its doubled to 40%
    Very, VERY busy. If you have ADD or ADHD, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU! You never get bored and always have something to do.
    Decent hours.
    AMAZING coworkers. Like I said earlier - a big family. You can vent about frustrating customers and get it off your chest so you can buck up and take on the next one with a smile! They are normally willing to switch/cover shifts for you if something comes up, or you just want to trade days off.
    Fitting Rooms and registers are my personal favorite. Back in the fitting rooms you actually get to give customers good customer service. Communicate and visit so they know they actually matter. Granted the go backs may not get ran if someone has called out - but with being next to the stock room I can use more racks if I need them and just stack them up.
    The registers are decent for just being able to mainly stand in one place and do repeat movements. (granted you will have to rush later to complete your section - it provides a nice change in pace... or motions atleast.

If you get tired or sore - this may not be the job for you. Expect your feet and arms to hurt for the first 3 weeks or so. Wear shoes that have lots of HEEL support!

Cons

Lack of anti-theft security. (e.g. more cameras, angled mirrors)
    Understaffed - with the high amount of customers we get daily, its unfair how few of us are responsible to clean up after the stampeeds.
    Strict hours. Since we are understaffed and still have all the responsibilities its a pain that the max is only 25 hours.

Seriously consider more security cameras and more security. The amount of money you'd get back being that the theft rate would be lowered would definitely be worth the investment and then some. Obamacare requires healthcare to be 30 hours or more - let us have like 28? the store will reflect and appreciate the extra time ! And up the pay a little. I know you have to replace alot of employees but those of us that have been here for a while and want to continue get kinda screwed over. We work hard and keep at it - make it worth it more often than just the double discount days.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores