There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Unrealistic expectation and not enough payroll

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Employee discount 20% . Every 3 1/2 months there's a double discount 40%
- The company is growing, so there are always new positions opening up.

Cons

- They pay is absolutely terrible! Way under pay compare to other retail stores.
- The store manager only come to the store once or twice a week. When i have a questions or problem i rarely get a response on time. I have to call other store's manager to ask for help.
- The assistant managers and supervisor have to take care of everything including: sales forecast, scheduling, hiring, termination, payroll issues, customers service, recovering, and merchandising, etc etc. which is fine, except they don't give us enough payroll to have enough cashiers and sales floor associates, so a lot of time managers will have to jump on the register to help out, or covering beaks for associates.
- Most of the time I feel like i am a cashier or just an associates.....
- Very rarely you get the time to learn about new thing from the upper management. poor training. they expect you to know everything and take care of everything.
- Corporate have unrealistic expectation from the stores. They keep coming up with new programs that only add more paper works for us and not enough time to get things done.
- I lost count of how many times i didn't take my lunch until my 6th hours....

- Most of the store managers don't even come to the stores,the ASM have to take care almost everything. you should make sure the SMs trained their ASM well enough before they do that.
- Lots of hr issues.
- overall just treat your employee better.

907 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

great discount....

Former Employee - Stockroom Associate
    Former Employee - Stockroom Associate

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people! the customers are generally great, and had many regulars in which we both knew each others names.
    - The discount, I mainly worked there for this reason. Seriously in the past 3 years of working here I completely eliminated mall shopping from my life, which really saves a lot of money. seeing as I worked in the stockroom doing clothes i saw all the great deals the moment we got them before they even got to the floor, which was great for me. Got everything for myself, home, daughter, boyfriend, and pets. lol. And 3 times a year, i think every 4 months threes 4 days of 40 percent off which was awesome!! I mean i could have a total of $300 give them my discount card and it would go down to $180

Cons

- Not much place for advancement.
    - If your not Buddy buddy with management your not moving up.
    - No recognition, sometimes I felt like a slave. Doing workloads that 3 or 4 people should be doing all by myself, at minimum wage with no benefits.
    - Little pay, with excessive work especially at Christmas time, If your in the fitting room okay i understand you should get little pay your not doing much, but for customer service, and stock room they bust there asses. started at minimum wage $7.25 worked there 3 years doing double sometimes triple the work in the stockroom, and when i left only made 60 cents raise in the whole 3 years. pffttt pathetic, unless you don't need the money and don;t have a family and kids, that's nothing!

- Maybe raise pay a little, and you could get and keep good employees, not ghetto thieves.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Renton, WA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Management and co workers. Fast Pace

Cons

Pay, Sometimes less staff

Keep doing what your doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!