Ross Stores

www.rossstores.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

It is a great company that devotes all of its work to make sales an in effect you have to work very hard.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Murrieta, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Murrieta, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have benefits for all full times and they are great but are more for managers since they can afford the full benefits. They do give you a bonus at the end of the year and that really is great. They are really great being flexible with your work schedule. In case you have a family, or have to go to the doctors ect. You also get vacation time and that is great because you can really use it any time. If the management is really great that will make it a great environment because they really care about their store and team. These would lead to a great team work environment. As with any retail job you have to work holidays but at least you get paid time and half unless you are a manager or an ASM you get regular pay because its all ready included in your pay.

Cons

I will start with training, as an Assistant Store Manager(ASM) you do get some training but I feel like they really need to expand their training and spend more time. If you are moving up in the company I feel the training is not their. If you are moving into an Area Supervise(AS) I feel training is not their and you will really have a hard time with your job plus most of the time you will be stuck their for a long time because management does not have time to help you develop and grow(If you want to move up). With out the help of your store manager it is all most imposable to move up. You definitely work long hours and it can take over your life. The people that I meet while being here really devoted their life to the company and really lost their personal lives. As an ASM you work 9 hours+ and that is 5 days a week. At first you think that is great but once you really get into the job you really get cough up with everything and you devote more time then that. Specially being part of management and wanting to have a great store you really will be working as much as the store manager. The computers that you work on are super slow but they are working on updating them, fair warning it takes them a long time to fix or update anything. Specially the more it cost the more time they will hold of from doing it. Just painting a door took a whole year, and you always have a small budget so you can not do everything or fix everything. The culture of the company is about caring about their workers and developing but the flow from the head of the company does not flow all the way to all managers or even associates. Their are some manager that get the info about developing and sharing information with associates but they get so busy with other projects that they never give or act on this information that would benefit associates. Being part of their management team really takes a lot of work and dedication because it is a stressing job that requires a lot of patients and handwork. Oh and I can not forget to mention payroll. Trust in me that you will hear this word more then any other word. Payroll will dictate how well your store does, how well you are graded meaning your raise, how much recognition you get or discipline by. Payroll is something that is talked about every month and every week, and you never have enough, that means you really have to have a good team to help you out to control it and not spend it. I know that company tells us that they don't want us to lie on our sales forecast, or truck counts or how we can manipulate the scheduled but some times it has to be done in order not to get into trouble. Their is still lots of more things to discuss but I understand that your looking for a short answer. Is the company good and yes it is very profitable. Does it take lots of dedication, handwork, and communication yes. Do they pay you enough for the work you do no. Do they treat their employes fairly no. Specially since you store is part of a district and your district manager is not concern in the welfare of the employees but in the welfare of how well he or she does to look good for his or her boss. I hope this will help in your decision.

My advice is to really consider how much work you are willing to take on. Do you want to spend you whole day at work? Do you mind giving up weekends because you will be working them? Do you mind being under pressure to give a speech to a group of people who are your boss and his or her bosses? (In this speech you will always end up looking bad because your boss has to point out the problems that you and your store has because he or she has to look good in front of their boss.) And finally are you willing to put extra work on helping people develop and grow to make them have a better job?

1093 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

Alot of work with minimal pay.

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the discount and being able to get things soon as they come in. 20 percent everyday and occasionally 40 percent off. Easy to move up if your willing to put in the work.

Cons

Alot of multitasking. ...everyone kinda does a little of everything.... alot of work sometimes to much. Stressful at times as well.

Pay people what they are worth.... the pay sucks for all the work that is asked.

Low pay and erratic often late hours

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is exceedingly easy to get hired here. This was the first and ultimately only place to which I applied and within a week I was hired.

Cons

Aside from the low pay, the hours for a part-time employee fluctuate greatly. Managers are also not very good at keeping your availability in mind when making schedules; however, they are easygoing about making necessary changes.

Increase the hourly wage.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores