Ross Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Extremely rewarding

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of opportunities for those who work hard and produce results. Upper Management always available to help and support stores. Stores within district really support each other. Store managers work alongside employees which helps create a motivated positive store atmosphere. I loved the family this company gave me!

Cons

High turnover of lower store management due to low pay. Had to sell positions on growth opportunities which resulted in low experience supervisors who became overwhelmed easily. Store would benefit from more payroll each month because the amount of work required was not supported by what was given which meant management had to be cashiers instead of driving the business and focusing on employee engagement.

$200 more per week in payroll would make a night and day difference in the positive outlook of employees.

1041 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

Great company to develop leadership skills and for career growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is an extensive training process for all leaders. Programs are in place to identify, train, and develop new leaders. Building bench and identifying new leaders are top priorities.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance. Some leaders are held to higher standards than others, which can lead to poor decisions and unequal outcomes. High focus on shortage control with limited resources.

Be consistent with your message and policy/procedures. There is too much gray area that leaders live in and can get stuck in.

A great place to get some beginner retail experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

From the very first day, I felt like they took the time to train me and make sure I had every operation down. They don't rush anything or pile on responsibilities you can't handle, yet they also respect different skill levels and if you go above and beyond they'll recognize you for it.

Cons

Changes in management happened too frequently to keep up, makes it hard for a reliable reference to use in the future.

Keep employees in the loop about staffing changes that affect them.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores