There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

This store is the worst thing to happen to my life.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Employee discount (20%) and double discount are beneficial to your budget. The paycheck helps you make it through the two weeks.

Cons

Worst customer base I've ever seen. If anything isn't in a customer's favor, it's the end of the world. Seriously? The items are already marked down, be satisfied.

Management isn't much better. In fact, for the most part, managers are worse than the customers (which is saying something). No degree necessary to be a manager in this company.

You get one week for double discount, which is 40%, but they usually schedule this the week after you've been paid so that you have less money to spend, and they therefore lose less money to employees.

There's really no chance to move up within the company. There's a program posted on the wall of my store (I'm assuming others as well) that states that if managers or assistant managers recommended by you from another company are hired, they'll pay you. With a program like that, what chances are left for advancement? If you get hired as an associate, you're stuck as an associate. You might have more responsibilities as you go on, but you'll never gain recognition for the completion of them, and your pay won't raise to match the effort you put in.

You'll never get out by the scheduled time. I've stayed as late as 4 A.M. (during the non-seasonal periods) before, and I won't be surprised if it happens again. I also continually stay at least an hour late every night the store closes, and during Christmas season, the scheduled time to leave is 1 AM. Having to open in the morning after staying until 2 or 3 AM really doesn't increase my productivity.

I've also had problems with higher management: district managers and SPS refusing to provide legal documents that were already written; instead, I was told to get them myself by asking everyone who had written.

On the face of this company, you'll hear the workforce called a "team," all united by "TRUE blue," but underneath the charade, the store doesn't care about its associates, and its management will not support you. The only team-like aspect the store actually has is the fact that EVERYBODY hates the customers.

In summary, this job is the worst I've ever had. Yeah, it pays, but it's almost slavery, or at the very least, indentured servitude.

There's really nothing I could say to the management that would produce a good change in this store chain. The whole idea of Ross Dress for Less is a terrible base for good employee-management relationships.

963 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

ross

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

you get a 20 percent discount, somtimes they have double discount. They have flexible hours. They do offer benefits if you are full time.

Cons

The manament is very confused. The customers are very rude. you never get off when your scheduled too. too much work for the pay

manament should communticate with its employees. They should come out of the office and help with some of the work.

Stay away if possible.

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

The 20% discount, 40% when they have double discount days. Some of the other employees are nice and helpful. The discount is the best pro really.

Cons

The managers walk around in a horrible mood, at least at my store. They aren't very helpful. If you try to talk to them, it's like you're a bother and just need to go away.

You basically have to train yourself. I was told to do markdowns. They showed me how to scan and left me to learn everything else. Then when I wasn't going fast enough for them, they would gripe. My store manager was talking to me once about the markdowns and told me that it's her markdown team's fault the markdowns are high. Well, there wasn't a markdown team. Just me. Then she finally got someone to help me, but she cut my hours. After the week she cut my hours, she moved me. I am now in the fitting room.

Don't expect to get out of work on time. And when you're trying to get out and you're a little late getting out, the managers will complain about it.

Don't go to work for Ross if you are looking for respect. You won't get it. They will talk to you like a child. The managers may even laugh at you when they walk by and see you working, happened in the store I work in. They don't care. All they care about is getting paid.

Care more about your associates. They work really hard to make sure your company looks good. They work hard to make sure you are STILL a company. But you treat them like dirt. Get a grip!

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores