There are newer employer reviews for Rothstein Kass

Retrospective Review of RK

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Roseland, NJ
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Pros

compensation is OK, benefits are good, PTO for overtime worked during the busy season, some of the people that work there are nice & helpful, work location is more convenient than if you were to work in new york city, and free parking. Not humanly possible to think of any other positive things to say about RK.

Cons

very toxic work environment & culture where back-stabbing is encouraged & allowed, performance reviews are 2-faced (they tell you you are doing OK, then in secret closed meetings, they rip you apart), tons of hypocrisy from managers and partners, very clickish like a bad version of a high school drama, high ratio of minorities who are fired/laid off every year because they do not fit the classic "good ol' boys" RK culture, promises of promotions that never come to fruition, tons of excessive politics beyond what would be deemed as normal in any other company, senior management (especially in HR) have no ethics or backbone in treating employees & ex-employees, etc., etc., etc.

hard to give advice to managers who have such disregard for employees working for them, RK management needs to look at other competitors to see why they are not vilified to the extent RK is, good number of the managers and partners there need to go back to school and learn to act like human beings again, employees should also be treated as a resource of the company, not to be thrown out and discarded when their usefulness goes down after the busy tax season, need to practice what they preach regarding their trademarked "BALANCED" philosophy (if they even know what that means), message to prospective employees would be BEWARE.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Rothstein Kass (View Most Recent)

depends on which group you are working for

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

Mid-sized...well diversified, fair compensation, many talented people

Cons

long hours busy season 75-80 hours, politics

Please do not fake people... do not fight, managers!

Backstabing, overworked, inhumane reatment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

7 weeks vacation a decent health coverage. You will learn alot in your first few months at the company. The company has a reputation in the finance field so it looks good on your resume when looking for other jobs in hedge funds.

Cons

Too much backstabbing at Rothstein. Alot of the seniors I work with give a ton of work and then go sit back and chat it about the last episode of Lost. Those of us at the low levels are very overworked and the few seniors that take pride in their job and take the time to explain to staff how to do things in an audit are usually the ones fired at end of busy season.

The seniors who lazy it up and stuff their staff with everything they should be doing so they can take probably 2 hours of breaks (excluding lunch) are the ones kept around. They are the ones who usually backstab those under them by blaming others for hours billed to a client when it's they who didn't hard hard for the hours they did. And of course it's these types of seniors and managers that get to head up roundtable meetings cause they are such "real leaders" when it's them who talks behind people's backs but they give a big smile when they see the same person face to face.

The partner level leadership are completely clueless. They tell staff and lower seniors theat they shouldn't complain when it's 10 pm and they are required to email scheduling if there is anymore work that needs to be done. One aprtner even stated that hey if you have to stay until 1 or 2 then that's the nature of the business. But when you walk by the partners offices they are usually done by 5 or 6. They tell us oh how they have to work harder than us during review time for financials which is the time they claim he have reduced schedules and are enjoying the time. That is a lie. We are here just as late and if not later than msot of these aprtners who still go home early.

They tell us how we need to do more to impress the clients and how it is not enough. Last I check it's the few of us that are working hard late trying to get things done while the leadership of the company are talking about how they couldn;t paly as much golf over the weekend cause of the rain. I barely have time for ymself and while they claim how Rothstein Kass is about being balanced most of us know that is just another lie.

Management can keep denying how miserable msot of us employees are and they can keep promoting alot of the backstabbing seniors who head up the roundtables but when most of us decide to leave the company you will be stuck with those seniors who will be partners and you iwll look back and think "huh why did all these people quit?" Just look at who you kept and promoted to hhigh levels for the answer.

Looking at what is psoted and not postd guidelines I have a feeling someone from RK managment will complain because they don't want the truth out there. No problem. Silence people here but people will end up quitting and so the new, unsuspecting people who can't read reviews like this will have to waste an year or two of their lives to get the lesson. If this is about educating people who a company, they should read the good and bad about a company and then use their intuition to decide if a company is good for them or not. This is based on my experiences and they are real. And if I seen a review like this before I came here, then I would never have wasted my time with this company. But I am stuck here until the economy can get better and there are more jobs that are available to be had. Hopefully this review makes it.

Leadership needs to start treating their employees as human beings and not robots. Cutting employees citing a "down economy" when you are one of the few company who made a huge profit discourages employees. Hire more employees but stop taking on more clients. Otherwise you will keep getting more and more people leaving. They haven't left yet because it is a down economy for loooking for other jobs. So please dot he right thing and treat us s humans. You will burn out the few of us who work hard and actually care about the company. But continually overworknig employees will cause employees to resent the company and want to leave. It does not foster any trust in management. Reviews cannot be only from top down or manger up to partner but seniors need to be reviewed too. Giving power to a handful of seniors can get out of hand since they hold alot of power and can take adntage of it. Please don't have 4 or 5 seniors determining who should stay or who should go and they are the eyes and ears of management. It makes other feel like it's Big Brother environment and you are being watched all the time. Stop that so that working at Rothstein Kass can feel warm and welcoming place to be. Also Rothstein Kass management said they were committed to diversity in management positions. But last year you let go of the majority of nonwhite employees at the senior level. Stacking the staff levls with nonwhites but not allowing the majority to go far in the seniro, maanger and partner levels discrdits your policy to try and diversify Rothstein Kass. The people you let go were not the worst employees so there is no excuses. If management sticks to their word, employees will felt hey can trust management. Management should not be making a big push about how employees need to be wowing clients. They need to start thinking how can Rothstein Kassmanagement start wowing their employees. Wowing your employees will help keep t he good people who work hard and care in the company. That only helps Rohstein grow as a company by having less turnover, improved morale and so better company performance for the company in profits.

There are newer employer reviews for Rothstein Kass

Worked for Rothstein Kass? Contribute to the Community!