Rovi

www.rovicorp.com
  www.rovicorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rovi

Headed downhill fast

Current Employee - Vice President of Corporate Strategy and Innovation in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rovi once had vision and leadership, and made some bold moves in Digital Entertainment. After Fred Amoroso retired, the company has become a miserable place to work. The new CEO is clueless and has no vision. You can't sue people you want to do business with. You can innovate without building something.

Cons

In the past 10 months, Rovi has lost their CEO, CFO, CIO, EVP of Products and Marketing, EVP of Human Resources, SVP of Consumer Electronics Products, VP of Marketing, VP of BizDev, VP of Strategy, their Chief Evangelist and their stock has gone from $70 to $15. I think that just about covers it.

Listen to your people. Stop your closed-door policies. Get a vision. Get a clue. Lead. Dream, and stop looking at your spread-sheets all the time. Tom Carson is qualified. Get somebody new. Your head of sales is a bully and toxic.

212 Other Employee Reviews for Rovi (View Most Recent)

No ethics , they just fire employees at will

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

only co-workers are good. Stock price fluctuate a lot, helping to make money through stocks

Cons

In order to survive you do not need performance , you just need to have good "relation" with manager. Lots of politics to play to get work/project and eventually keep your job

Before worrying about making money from your stock just have some ethics in your decision.

If you cherish your family, your sanity, your emotional stability and your career, then don’t join Rovi.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will earn plenty of frequent flyer miles.

Cons

No Work-life Balance.
    No Improvement Plans.
    No Leadership.
    No Communication.
    No Sanity.

Rovi is plagued with bureaucracy, politics and favoritism that will ultimately lead to the downfall of a once decent company.

From the outside the company looks good. The Recruiter sold me on the benefits, she hooked me with the uncapped vacation policy and the decent compensation. Looking back however, I realize I was lied to.

Work life balance. There is no such thing. You leave work only to log in every night to work. Managers and teams are constantly scheduling meetings at 2AM PST or 10PM PST. The travel, though I was told would not exceed 25%, has exceeded 75%. If you have a spouse or children, forget about Rovi. You won’t see them & when you do, you will be more concerned about logging in and working. Rovi is the type of company that uses a instant messaging system that shows if you are online. Big Brother... If you think you are taking a vacation, you thought wrong. Vacation simply means that you are going to be in another location with your laptop and blackberry working.

I am convinced that Rovi puts it managers trough a training course to become manipulative fear based drivers of work. I’ve seen peers and friends from all areas of the company be terminated without cause. Rovi doesn’t “fire” people, rather it does “lays offs.” I’ve seen contributors receive outstanding performance reviews then a week or so later get “laied off.” Rovi doesn’t do performance improvement plans nor does the management have an ability to communicate criticism to their employees.

Within a few months of Tom Carson stepping up as CEO, he fired the EVP of HR, multiple high level individuals & VP's were let go then the CFO / COO James Budge quit. I've should have know when in the span of 2 years 3 EVP of Product & Development came and went. If that wasn't a warning sign enough to leave then perhaps it was my wife who said she was tired of my short temper and excessive travel and my teenage daughter acting out, saying that I’ve changed and I’m never there for her.

I wouldn’t recommend any of my friends or members of my network to work for Rovi.

My advice it management, your people are your greatest asset. Stop leading by fear and saving money in your coffers. Start investing in your people, not just financially but socially, educationally and emotionally. Develop leaders who have communication skills rather than fear based leadership abilities. Stop blowing money on projects and initiatives that your not good at, rather K.I.S.S. and stick with the fundamentals of what made Rovi successful in the first place.

There are newer employer reviews for Rovi