Rovi

www.rovicorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rovi

Great space - convergence of entertainment and technology

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burbank, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

interesting problems to solve; connecting people in entertainment
big scale; products and services that everyone you know touches
global business with diverse population
great IP backbone allows that creates good marketplace position
smart people who want to innovate

Cons

Company grew too fast through large acquisitions - has had to refocus over the last year, which has created some people with gripes (hence some of negative reviews)

Double down on TV Everywhere
make sure any new acquisitions fit with the strategy

221 Other Employee Reviews for Rovi (View Most Recent)

This is a decent place w. great people and products but room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rovi has smart, dedicated people, who care.
    Rovi makes great products that people use everyday.
    Highly capable Engineering team(s)
    Excellent benefits and overall compensation package
    You get what you put into this place
    Great food
    Flex time

I'm writing this review because I can't stand seeing our company trashed on this site. Management is willing to listen and address structural/organization issues.We've grown extensively through acquisition so it's understandable that we have had challenges integrating these disparate products and yes there are some unhappy people as in ANY organization. It's hard to change and yes management has had to make difficult decisions... after all it is a business. I think anyone who has worked anywhere is mature enough to know this.
    I for one have encountered nothing but great people who take pride in the work that they do whether its in operations, administration, legal, finance, engineering, sales. etc.
     If I were laid off tomorrow I would feel the same way. This is my opinion and I think that the majority of the people that have worked and or still work here agree with me.

Cons

Office space can be improved
    Sometimes teams can get into work silo's
    Distributed nature of the organization can make it difficult to navigate and or confusing
    Have seen a lot of changes over the past year and good people and friends leave
    Hard to see friends go.
    Need to get different teams to work together as one

Be a bit more personable. I know it can be hard to come out of your executive bubble but sometimes personal acknowledgement (nod, smile, wave, or greeting) in the hallway can go a long way. Bonus points if you remember their names. They know yours.
    You can't blame one person for everything. Everyone needs to work together and be in synch in order for us to build and ship great products. Speak with one voice, one message, and just communicate.

company in transformation

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

Management recognizes the need for change and is actually taking steps to transition in the right direction. Change is a long hard road, and clear values and a healthy culture don't appear overnight. It's much easier to complain and feel entitled than it is to take ownership and try to contribute. However for individuals who keep a positive attitude and focus on teamwork and meaningful results - I think change should bring good growth opportunities.

Cons

Not a 9-5 gig. You get out of this place, what you put into it. Change takes a long time so need to be in it for the long run. None of these are cons in my opinion but depends on the individual.

See the change process through, no matter what. And spruce up the offices... work environment reflects prevailing culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Rovi