Rovi

www.rovicorp.com
  www.rovicorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rovi

Not a bad to place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Burbank, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great, people are generally nice and keep to themselves, and the work hours are sensible. If you're looking for a decent place to work, this is it.

Cons

The upper management, the CEO in particular, doesn't really understand technology, which locks them in a mindset of patent litigation. While patents have brought the company a lot of money, I don't think it's a sustainable means of survival.

Get rid of Tom and bring in someone that understands technology.

212 Other Employee Reviews for Rovi (View Most Recent)

Waste

Current Employee - Data Processing
    Current Employee - Data Processing

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The medical & dental benefits are nice. They do feed us weekly & every month they do give us a luncheon.

Cons

In all the years that I've been working it's one of the worst companies I've seen to waste their money on needless things. They spend money likes it's candy. They somehow find the money to put in new office furniture, new carpenting, new tv's for the conference rooms, buy more companies & etc but they are unable to find the money to hire the personnel that we need to do the overload of work that we have and/or to give us the proper pay raises that we so deserve (by industry standards, we are all getting paid far less) considering that we, the people below an executive position, are the ones that are doing all the data entry work. When you go to your supervisor or HR with any type of concern or complaint, you get ignored. They tell us that we have to work as one team & they want the work atmosphere to be like Hulu or Zappos but yet they have put so much fear into us about losing our jobs, that there's no way that everyone can be or will be happy. It's not about not accepting change. It's the way that the higher management & board members are going about doing things that are not in a positive way. Very few women get promoted here. It's all a "boy club".

Listening to the folks that are below an excutive position would actually help with Rovi wanting to make this company a nice & pleasant place to work at. Also, if HR could really be faster about responding to people who apply for postions. I know of people who've had family & friends that have applied for to work here & have never heard from anyone in HR or if co-workers who have a problem that needs to resolved then listen & resolve it. There's no HR person on site & this is the first company I've ever seen not have a HR person at each location (like there should be). It's hard to build a relationsship with an HR person when you have to communicate with them via a phone call or email.

Terrible, poor, demoralizing and mind numbing

Current Employee - Data Processing in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Data Processing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

Pays the bills, even if it is only just

Cons

Pay is ridiculously low for the area I live in. Non-skilled workers in the same area get paid more. If you bring up the issue of pay they roll their eyes. Yeah we get annual bonuses but it reflects directly on company performance and yet Tom Carson gets millions in bonuses no matter the company’s performance. They claim that a portion of it is on personal performance but this year they gave everybody the same no matter how much or little you do. Career progression is non-existent. You will learn no new skills. I learnt everything I needed to and could learn from this job in two weeks. Management is just all sorts of wrong. Working hard and doing more work than others gets you nowhere. You may as well sit back and do the bare minimum for all the good your extra effort does. The company goes on about how it is focused on customers and yet it has sued everybody. They try and shove ‘innovation’ down our throats and to try and get us to come up with the next million dollar idea but if we do, we get a gift card and a pat on the back while they patent it and makes millions off it. We are not allowed to own ANY patents of our own while working here so they make sure that we can make no headway elsewhere in our lives while stuck at the Rovi prison. And I know you are reading this and thinking ‘Just leave if it is that bad’…I am trying. As I stated earlier, we have no opportunities to learn new skills and I don’t get paid enough to enter any external courses so I have no new skills and have been outdated. Put simply, Rovi is just wrong in every sense of the word and eventually when I hear back from the plethora of job applications I have sent out, I will be out of the door quicker than you can say the Rovi motto, ‘but how will that effect dividends?’.

Sort it out...just sort it out. We need an overhaul.

There are newer employer reviews for Rovi