Rovi

There are newer employer reviews for Rovi

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Benifits look better than my previous employer, Salary level is average or more a little bit here. Company profit margin is high since it major gets revenue from IP licensing.

Cons

no long term plan for empolyee devopment yet, and didn't provide a good package( or compensation) when laid off some empolyees due to company organization adjustments.

212 Other Employee Reviews for Rovi (View Most Recent)

There is some good beneath the bad; You just have to wait for it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Competitive salary. Friendly employees. Some bright employees. Projects can be fun to work on.

Cons

There have been very bad hires over the course of the last 2 years at Rovi. They've restructured their Engineering divisions by getting rid of technical leaders and replacing them with business leaders who have less than an ounce of technical knowledge or abilities. These are the people making decisions and determining the direction of a technical company.

You are not asked for your opinion or input on projects, instead you are told what to do by the non-technical leaders. Even if what they are asking doesn't make sense, who cares? Figure it out and make it work, or else. If you try to have an opinion, you will find yourself curbside very quickly.

The CEO is boring. I have fallen asleep through every single one of his all-hands meetings. I could never trust a leader who puts me to sleep.

On the subject of bad hires, there are a lot of low-level (director and below) hires which need to be reevaluated. There are too many employees who have no clue what they're doing, but somehow kissing the right bottoms to excel and stay gainfully employed.

Direction of the company is unclear and seems to change with the wind.

We were told if there are problems, talk with your manager. Unfortunately, the managers are afraid to bring it up to their managers, so talking to your manager doesn't do much good.

Work-Life balance used to be good, but then they "laid off" a large number of the workforce and redistributed the workload to other areas. If we try to have lives outside of work, then our work will never be completed. Most employees are finding themselves working longer hours or after-hours on a regular basis.

Start listening to your employees. Like, really start listening to them. Tom, if you truly want people to be an adult and leave if they're unhappy, then I hope you and the rest of your management team have fun building, testing and deploying our products.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Rovi has an interest in becoming a premiere company to work for and they treat their employees well with compensation, benefits, flexibility, and an interest in innovation.

Cons

Rovi is very top heavy (too many VPs) and the culture (what there is of it) is organically-grown from multiple acquisitions. While there have been efforts over the last year to improve upon this, the culture still has a ways to go to get there. Luckily, upper management is aware of this, though no real change has yet to occur.

From a technical standpoint, Rovi has the capability to do great things, but existing infrastructure, monolithic and stagnant practices, and an ongoing problem causing strife between partners and potential partners with lawsuits and zealous IP defense cause problems in the marketplace.

Culture needs to change at Rovi more quickly and Rovi needs to look at the people that are holding it back and consider action. We've heard a lot about change, but we haven't seen it.

Management also feels like a monolith, sitting atop the organization with many, many heads. It doesn't feel accessible.

Likewise, Rovi has a presence across the US and around the world, but we often have to deal with people who are time zones away as part of the same team and it's difficult to form a good working relationship under those conditions.

There are newer employer reviews for Rovi