Rowman & Littlefield Publishing

www.rlpgbooks.com
  www.rlpgbooks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing

Intellectually stimulating, congenial office culture

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in Lanham, MD
Current Employee - Assistant Editor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and usually different--not much repetition. Each project presents new challenges. Somewhat flexible work schedules are available. Very congenial and collaborative culture. Promotions are handled fairly and logically. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Company seems to be perpetually in a transitional state--seems to lack a consistent vision or plan for the future, which makes discerning management's overall goals difficult at times. Even though there are a great variety of challenges, there is a culture of trying to solve everything with only a handful of limited solutions. It's extremely hard to tell what the company values, beyond profit. Pay is not great, but then again no one goes into publishing to get rich.

Encourage employees to be more pragmatic and creative problem-solvers. Communicate goals clearly and consistently. Articulate more comprehensive vision for future (i.e., qualitatively in addition to quantitatively). What are the company's values?

Apr 9, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review; I truly enjoyed reading it! I'm happy to hear that you are finding your work challenging, as well as finding your colleagues congenial and collaborative.

You mention
... More

4 Other Employee Reviews for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing (View Most Recent)

You get what you pay for

Current Employee - Editor, Acquisitions
    Current Employee - Editor, Acquisitions

I have been working at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is one of the few book publishers in the Washington DC area. It is easy to get a foot in the door at RLPG and move up quickly. Very useful for gaining experience in the industry.

Cons

Very high turnover in most departments. The pay is very low and the benefits are not adequate. The salary increase that accompanies promotions is negligible and the annual raises are not much. A lot is expected for very little return and the result is predictable. Employees leave or stop caring.

Recognize that turnover will not slow down until you compensate your employees adequately for their work. Do not expect one employee to do the work of three people. Provide incentives to meet goals. Right now the reward for reaching a particular goal is additional work and no other recognition.

Apr 28, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thanks for your review. You mention several concerns around our compensation and benefits plan; after five years of service, I'm willing to be you've had the opportunity to develop a lot of insight ... More

Great.

Current Employee - Assistant Editor, Production in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor, Production in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and work environment

Cons

Not the best paying salary out there.

Apr 9, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thanks for your review. I'm always happy to hear that my colleagues are enjoying a flexible schedule and work environment, as I believe both are important to the long-term success of both ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing