Rowman & Littlefield Publishing

www.rlpgbooks.com
  www.rlpgbooks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing

Intellectually stimulating, congenial office culture

Current Employee - Assistant Editor  in  Lanham, MD
Current Employee - Assistant Editor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is interesting and usually different--not much repetition. Each project presents new challenges. Somewhat flexible work schedules are available. Very congenial and collaborative culture. Promotions are handled fairly and logically. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Company seems to be perpetually in a transitional state--seems to lack a consistent vision or plan for the future, which makes discerning management's overall goals difficult at times. Even though there are a great variety of challenges, there is a culture of trying to solve everything with only a handful of limited solutions. It's extremely hard to tell what the company values, beyond profit. Pay is not great, but then again no one goes into publishing to get rich.

Encourage employees to be more pragmatic and creative problem-solvers. Communicate goals clearly and consistently. Articulate more comprehensive vision for future (i.e., qualitatively in addition to quantitatively). What are the company's values?

Apr 9, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review; I truly enjoyed reading it! I'm happy to hear that you are finding your work challenging, as well as finding your colleagues congenial and collaborative.

You mention
... More

4 Other Employee Reviews for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing (View Most Recent)

Great.

Current Employee - Assistant Editor, Production  in  Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor, Production in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Rowman & Littlefield Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and work environment

Cons

Not the best paying salary out there.

Apr 9, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thanks for your review. I'm always happy to hear that my colleagues are enjoying a flexible schedule and work environment, as I believe both are important to the long-term success of both ... More

Love the job, want to make the company better.

Pros

A great place to learn and grow. Have had the opportunity to learn about the publishing industry, and to develop and implement acquisitions strategies with a team of friendly and like-minded co-workers. Challenging and intellectually stimulating. I couldn't ask for more in terms of the job itself, and I hope to be here for a long time.

Cons

Turnover is high, morale is low. The company has recently undergone some re-structuring. While this is exciting, there is the general feeling that the editors are being overworked and given neither the adequate resources to meet their goals nor proper raises in salary to reflect the exponential increase in signing goals. Acquiring goals have increased by as much as half again for individual editors without any increase in salary. Communication between departments is poor, which is especially troublesome at a time when the company is undergoing rapid growth and change. Changes in procedure often trickle down through individual employees, as opposed to being presented to the entire company when they need to be implemented. In some situations, the company seems to "jump the gun" when it comes to implementing company-wide changes. A perfect example is when a new software program was created for the company and put into use by all employees both before many had computers that could handle running the program, and before the program had been tested across all departments.

I would recommend that the company conduct an anonymous survey of its employees. I get the impression that most of the upper-level management is unaware of the morale problems with the staff, who are too afraid of being edged out or marginalized by their supervisors to bring up these issues on their own. Encourage communication between departments. Beta-test new initiatives before putting them into action (the company does, admittedly, seem to be getting much better about this in recent months, and I applaud that!) You have a number of devoted employees at your company. Find a way to reward innovation and initiative, and people will stick around longer.

May 19, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review. You note several pertinent concerns, and I'm very interested in speaking with you and learning more. Let's work together to discover solutions! I'm confident I could be ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing

Worked for Rowman & Littlefield Publishing? Contribute to the Community!