This organization likes to lose money, it's in their DNA as is an underlying level of hypocrisy

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lack of investment in systems, infrastructure and support mean you get a broader scope as you inevitably end up having to all this non-core stuff yourself. Their marketing strap-line is ‘make it happen’ and they live by that. Want something to work or need some support? Then make it happen yourself!

Cons

There’s an underlying hypocrisy at play within the firm which is quite frankly extremely infuriating. The depart I worked in, HR, was run by an extremely critical and micro-managing management team. All of their business decisions were born out of on cutting of costs and he was definitely from the ‘talk the talk but do not walk the walk’ school of management. The business was increasingly held back by his policies and decisions. This was compounded by the fact that these policies were not applied to themselves when looking to extend their own ex-pat package. The local compensation team were taken out of the equation and their package was developed as an ‘under the counter’ deal. The management team are extremely aggressive and it is not uncommon for people to be bullied on a daily basis, at least in the Hong Kong office this was my experiences.

The amount of money this bank still wastes is absurd – especially on nonsensical ex-pat packages when there’s a gamut of local talent out there. There’s a number of people getting very rich off tax-payers money and managing to put their kids through some of the best schools out here in Asia for free and for much longer than a normal ex-pat contract might allow.

I worked at RBS for 6 years and I would have no hesitation at all in telling prospective applicants to think twice about joining this firm due its manager's barefaced hypocrisies