Royal Caribbean Cruises

Disposal Department

Current Employee - Groups/STAR Agent in Springfield, OR
Current Employee - Groups/STAR Agent in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Royal Caribbean Cruises

Pros

Beautiful building, full of light.
Gourmet food in the cafeteria for only $4 for a whole meal
State of the art fitness facility with the best fitness coordinator on the planet
Working with travel agents is much nicer than working with direct guests
Incentive pay
Pay is good for this area

Cons

1. Because the groups/STAR department has more training than individual reservations, the company literally dumps calls from 12 different departments on us constantly, but requires us to keep up with the 300 groups assigned to each one of us without giving us extra time off the phone. If we are five days late making our call outs for group deadlines, we lose our incentive pay, but we aren't given the time to do our jobs. So, many times we work off the clock so that we can stay on top of things. Then, when a bunch of people left the groups/STAR department for several other departments, they only hired about 1/3 of the replacements they needed for the people that left, and just increased the number of groups we each have to handle. Their reasoning was that we are getting our work done, so they don't need as many people. Right. It's because we are working without pay so that we don't get penalized for not getting our work done!!!

2. 50% of the shifts offered to us in Springfield either have split days off (like Wednesday and Sunday), or a closing shift. I understand that they need to staff the closing shifts, but everyone hates them because we have to clear the queue before we can clock out. Sometimes we are there an hour after closing. The company needs to offer higher pay for people assigned a closing shift. That way, people would take the shift by choice and other people could take some of those primo shifts. I might take a closing shift by choice if it paid a dollar an hour more.

3. The new Quality Assurance scoring is ridiculous. The intent of it is great - better customer service, but they need to make it a coaching thing and not tie it to our incentive pay. I've rarely seen anything as nuts as this company's new QA system. It's Alice in Wonderland.

4. The top ten ranked people in our department are on leave through the Family Medical Leave Act. Those of us who show up for work everyday get ranked lower because we get more QA scores and more opportunity to commit some faux pas like saying port charges instead of "non-commissionable cruise fare." If people aren't there, they should not get top ranking. Those of us who do OUR jobs and THEIRS both, should be rewarded with top ranking.

1. Pay $1.00 an hour more for closing shifts.
2. Go back to the old QA system and coach for better customer service.
3. Find a way NOT to give us split days off. Other companies figure it out, why can't you?

244 Other Employee Reviews for Royal Caribbean Cruises (View Most Recent)

A journey of growth

Current Employee - Waiter in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Waiter in Miami, FL

I have been working at Royal Caribbean Cruises

Pros

it;s a one rule fits all in the company and upholds industary to a high level

Cons

The long months away from home which should be reviewed to a shorter contract for CM willing to pay fully for their airfare return.

Please be willing to understand CM should they act a certain way because they may sometimes have problems which they need support even if it's someone to talk to and not only look at it as a Zero tollerance rule.

Clerical Data Entry Department

Former Employee - Clerk in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in Miami, FL

I worked at Royal Caribbean Cruises

Pros

The company provides an opportunity to travel the world.

Cons

The position I was in never allowed the time off requested. Instead would give you only some of the days requested off to pressure you not to take any vacation time.

There are newer employer reviews for Royal Caribbean Cruises