There are newer employer reviews for Royal Dutch Shell

Great company to work for overall, but inconsistent new hire program

Current Employee - HSE Engineer  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - HSE Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell

Pros

Benefits, compensation, work-life balance, safety focus

Cons

International opportunities, new hire development inconsistencies

Would be good to have a more overall and consistent support of the new hire program

417 Other Employee Reviews for Royal Dutch Shell (View Most Recent)

I have had a great opportunity to gain experience in multiple business units.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell

Pros

Employees are encouraged to take control of their personal development, but balanced with guidance from management

The opportunity exists to work in different business units

Multiple U.S. locations and Overseas roles

Community Conscious

Fantastic benefits

Cons

Slow to make decisions

External hires can have difficulty assimilating

The success of Shell in the future will revolve around three points: The ability to work collaboratively with NOC's, the technological foundation to lead in the development and implementation of low carbon/sustainable fuels, and become the "good neighbor" that communities desire to work with, grow and support.

Great Opportunities Available - but you have to be proactive

Former Employee - Enterprise Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Royal Dutch Shell

Pros

Shell has a lot of opportunities to move your career in any direction you want, but you have to make your own contacts and plan ahead to move in to another position. As I Was getting my bachelors degree in another field of study than what I was employed in, I Was told I would need to quit Shell and work elsewhere after I got my degree. I remained at Shell for another 16 years after receiving my Bachelors in MIS but I had to acquire interviews as a new college hire through my university (I was already a 13 yr employee at Shell by then) - unconventional method but it worked.

Cons

Not a lot of cons even for a large multi-national petroleum company with 93,000 employees worldwide.
    As Shell is a foreign owned company, a lot of the preference goes to employees already oversees, or that work oversees frequently and build the familiarity with the decision makers in UK & Netherlands

Keep communicating with the divisions - not just in teleconferences and webinars, but face to face - get to know the people on "the other side of the pond". I was fortunate to have Sr Management that did that, but other colleagues of mine in other groups were not as fortunate.

There are newer employer reviews for Royal Dutch Shell

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!