Mismanaged

Former Employee - Postman in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Postman in London, England (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for what the job involves.

Cons

Managers can't manage and seem to be more interested in having an easy time.

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers that aren't up to the job.

Other Employee Reviews for Royal Mail

A postman of 2.5 years

Former Employee - Postman in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Postman in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Royal Mail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a postman is a very simple job. Anyone can do it, really. Essentially you do a lot of walking, up and down streets and the drives of people's houses. That's it. Chances are it will be the same route every day. The nice thing is that you can go an entire day without speaking to your manager. Once you're out on the route, you're by yourself, you can do the job how want to. If you finish early, you can go home early. If you finish late though, then you aren't normally paid extra for the overtime. There was a low staff turnover rate at the office I worked at. Most postmen had worked there 5 years or more. The starting salary is good - £10 an hour.

Cons

You need self-motivation in order to complete your round every day, even if it's pouring with rain, you're running late, and your bag has just split and all the mail is now on the ground in a puddle. You have to have a mindset that you will keep going, no matter what. It can be quite hard, physically, especially if you have to carry bags of mail. Luckily I never had to carry anything too heavy. For the first couple of years I rode a bike, and after that we switched to huge trolleys we had to push around. In the end I quit partly because I was worried about my health. Specifically my knees and back. There is almost no opportunity or being promoted. This is because in my office there was one manager to 30 postmen. The weather causes problems. Winter is the worst time, when it snows. Luckily I booked time off around that time. Summer can be unpleasant too, when it is at its peak. Walking around in the midday sun for hours is not fun. I recommend to wear a sun hat.

Advice to Management

Continue to let postmen do the rounds without interference (except where there are customer complaints).

2. postman

Current Employee - Postman
    Current Employee - Postman

I have been working at Royal Mail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

meeting people and keeping fit

Cons

junk mail and excessive work load