Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology

rmit.edu.au
There are newer employer reviews for Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology

Good employment opportunity with some supportive management staff. But little to no career development.

Current Employee - Client Liaison Officer in Melbourne (Australia)
Current Employee - Client Liaison Officer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology

Pros

The salary is very good (higher than average) when comparing to other companies. Good supportive management staff with a stress free work environment (depending on your department/area). The IT systems here are constantly evolving and improving. Good senior management communication.

Cons

I previously worked in a different department within RMIT and found that it was high stress and the management was very poor. I had 4 weeks annual leave which in my 1 year working there I was not allowed to take as every time I applied for it, it was rejected - even with months notice. Sick days were questioned with my manager even forcing me to disclose personal information which I advised was inappropriate.

But I have moved departments since then and have found the management in my new department very relaxing and supportive. No problems with anything at all! So, I think it really depends on where you work within RMIT.

Please implement more career development opportunities and feedback sessions. Management approaching me and saying "hey I've seen your name - I heard you do excellent work, good job" is great and everything - but where is the career development?

15 Other Employee Reviews for Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology (View Most Recent)

Unhappy place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology

Pros

The main campus is in the heart of the cultural capital of Australia. Everything's convenient including public transport. Further like any job in academia one can expect to find good colleagues who haven't let the system ruin them.

Cons

RMIT is a collection of former institutes/ TAFES/ that were amalgamated in the 1990's. This history has never allowed a real integration. To date RMIT does not know whether it's training hair dressers or educating physicists.
    Further the management quality is very inconsistent-a few enlightened leaders with significant research experience and hence able to lead in research, mixed with a large number of bullies and failed academics who have never published anything of substance. This latter group is a dead weight who can neither lead nor will get out of the way for people who want to research. Given the mandate to research a teaching only option is not available.
    A recent staff survey indicated at one measure a confidence level in management of 37%. Without consulting staff as to what lies behind the dreadful score (staff would be fired with such ratings) management has advised that it will be remedied by professional development.
    This is not a whinge forum but one should be prepared for these workings if considering RMIT.

Why not put together a staff forum asking what staff see as problematic and what they would propose? As well there is nothing to fear from 360 evaluations for competent managers.

employer rating

Current Employee - Technical Officer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Technical Officer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology

Pros

Easygoing Atmosphere. Break from pressure when semesters finish.

Cons

Lack of respect, Lack of rewards for taking initiative or having good ideas that are being taken up. Culture of academic staff thinking so highly of themselves that they can't talk to technical staff.

Managers need to have people skills.

There are newer employer reviews for Royal Melbourne Institute Of Technology