There are newer employer reviews for Rue La La

Dissapointing, Toxic Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Office in Fort Point (growing "Innovation District")
- Associate Sample Sales (when you're not getting shoved out of the way)
- Working for a recognized brand
- Some fun people to work side-by-side with (with a "we're all in this together" attitude)

Cons

- Technology, technology, technology! We keep hearing "we know and we're working on it), but have never been provided a timeline, a plan, or have seen any results. When tools are "enhanced", project managers don't include appropriate teams and tools end up not working appropriately.
- Senior leadership, they're pompous and don't seem to care about their team, just being spiteful to the other leaders they don't like.
- Negative culture, low morale
- No support, from leadership, IT, across departments
- No communication

Advice to Management

Focus a little more on technology, infrastructure and communication. What could be an exciting environment is plagued by broken systems, angry associates and pompous leadership. Stop hiring a new VP or president when you want something fixed. This is a business, not magic-land. Giving yet another person $250K won't fix your company, most would argue it makes it worse. Communicate with your teams and create a collaborative culture with tools that we need.

There's SO much potential with this brand, but without some serious changes, our successes won't last too much longer as we won't be able to stay competitive and will ultimately "lose the flash sale race."

reviews filtered by

Spiraling in on the technology side--too little, too late

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The scenery, the coolness factor of the location, the recognizable brand. Some good people. Lots of people in interesting clothes.

Cons

After most of the senior software developers and QA engineers departed for better companies, there are maybe three employees left who understand the legacy systems and archaic software underpinning Rue's admittedly popular site.

Newer technologies are slowly being introduced, but the business tools needed to remain competitive and agile in the marketplace have been made a lower priority.

Toxic corporate culture--massive egotism at the top, way too many "chiefs", and overworked and under-rewarded front-line staff.

Apparent inability to attract and retain talented and motivated workers.

Advice to Management

Heroism isn't sustainable, especially when the front-line people keeping the site functioning and profitable aren't offered anything like the stock grants and bonuses the executives award themselves annually.

Merge with or acquire Ideeli; rebrand their modern, working platform as needed, instead of trying to rewrite the Rue platform from scratch.

Meh

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

It's in Boston and the name carries weight

Cons

No structure, tons of girls who don't really know which end is up

There are newer employer reviews for Rue La La