Rue La La

www.ruelala.com

Stalls your career , too many issues, very dissatisfying workplace

Event Production (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDeparture of old CEO helped relieve the company from some of the old Draconian culture
filled with intimidation, flip-flopping, favoritism, angry outbursts by the former CEO and an altogether bi-polar atmosphere .The only good thing is that your people are talented, bright individuals who know how to do great work – they deserve more care than you give them.

Cons1) The company has a set of values (collaborative, kind, decisive, tenacious, innovative) but the management team does not exhibit one these values individually or collectively so what’s the point?

2) Barely any cultural/racial diversity.

3) Gossip-Centric Community: The HR department is the worst example of gossip-promoting within the company and has caused most employees to lose respect and trust in the department as a whole – there is no one that doesn’t censor in front of any member of HR even in the case of employee complaints. In particular, the Chief People Officer tolerates and actively engages in gossip about former and current employees.

4) Salary Differential: Too many employees at the same title have salary differences of 15k+. Does management not know that employees speak to one another and find this out? Especially on the 2nd floor. Value us enough to even the playing field a bit more.

5) Favoritism: It’s been a little better since Davis stepped in but overall, there is heavy favoritism of a select few “high potential employees” and heavy disregard for anyone else.

6) Questionable confidentiality: There are confidential documents left on printers across the company – even separation agreements have been forgotten at printers - no wonder Boston recruiters have started warning people to avoid this place.

7) Employee Surveys: The fundamental problem is that no one trusts they are anonymous because no one trusts management or HR . A third-party consultant company should take these surveys thru careful administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP GOSSIPING: Many teams do it, even executive management does it but for the HR team to engage in gossip and character assessments in their open-aired 3rd floor cubicles or at the copiers is the least “kind and collaborative” thing they can do – they should cut it out and try to engage in respectful classy discussions instead of reputation assassinations of their colleagues – otherwise why work in HR? Aren’t you supposed to help your colleagues succeed?

VALUE YOUR PEOPLE: If you care about why you are losing so many top-performers, perhaps you should talk 1:1 to your associate-level employees who make up the collective of your company and ask us what concerns we have directly, what our fears are at work, what motivates us. The new CEO and CFO should spend time actually getting to know people’s names on their teams instead of managing from the top-down. Here’s a tip “manage collaboratively” like our values state.

KEY TAKEAWAY: you have so much potential as a company. Worry less about making q4 targets and more about sustaining the great talent you have between your walls. Challenge yourselves to be a great company to work for, not just a company to purchase things from. Strive to be the best e-commerce company to work for, I have faith that Davis can turn this ship around.

Two Step shuffle

IT Department (Former Employee) Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros: Vibrant and energetic work environment. More fun challenges than… Cons: Lack of consistent vision. Many projects started and abandoned simply because it the… Advice to Senior Management: Curious to see if Steve (the new CEO) is going to make a difference.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: awesome culture, innovative, fun, fast paced Cons: I cant think of many Advice to Senior Management: focus on keeping the culture a fun and creative. … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Rue La La.

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!