Great benefits

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health insurance benefits are awesome and lots of flexibility with schedule at least with my department

Cons

Not much direction in specific job

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I hope you're friends with the management...

Former Employee - SPD Stock Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - SPD Stock Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Halfway decent starting pay, health benefits are good.

Cons

Annual raises below 2% of pay (while members of the management take home $5k bonuses), PTO system for non-union employees is mismanaged by inept supervisors, ZERO advancement opportunities unless you are friends with upper management or are a nurse, treated like garbage by management, nurses, and doctors if you aren't a nurse, doctor, or a member of management, constant double standards relating to rule enforcement... There are so many more.

Advice to Management

The management in the department I worked in, SPD, was a joke. Their idea of managing was sitting at a desk and watching movies on their computers while those they were supposed to supervise dealt with all the problems. I worked in their offsite warehouse, which I've heard is no longer being used, and it was a logistics nightmare. There was very little inventory control (if any), the building was a dusty mess (housing medical supplies!), and items were stored with absolutely no rhyme or reason as to their placement. The director of our department had worked their since she graduated from high school and does not have any kind of degree, yet she looked down on the people below her like she was some highly educated czarina or something. Overall, my advice to management would be to treat people like they are people and not a hit on their personal budget.

Personally, I worked there for 3 years. I worked overtime voluntarily every week. I was one of the fastest workers on my shift and my work was always correct. I was eventually fired due to a an argument over a scheduling mistake my supervisor admitted he made. That was right after everyone in the department received a 14 cent raise. I received the same raise as a guy who was late all the time and just sat on the computer all night doing nothing. I received the equivalent of a $290 increase in my yearly salary while my supervisor was given a $2k bonus on top of his raise. The director got $5k. That's how Rush works folks. It's a toxic environment where the management refuses to recognize or reward good, hard work. My manager refused to even say "hello" to me for most of the time I was there. Run away from this place. Run fast.

2. Good

Pros

good opportunity to start your career

Cons

short break, management need to be change