There are newer employer reviews for Russ Reid

Shocked

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator  in  Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

Helping the homeless find food and shelter during the holidays.

Cons

Too many politics. Many people that work there are related or referred. Poor training. I had my Employee Orientation after 2 months.

No checks and balances on job performance. More supervisor training and evaluation by subordinate is (when under fire) needed. Unprofessional treatment of co-workers provide a stressful and hostile environment.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Russ Reid (View Most Recent)

Doing good for others sometimes isn't enough.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

Fundraising for non-profits, feeling good about helping the clients, knowing you've made the world a better place. The majority of the people are very nice and hard working. When dealing with peers, it can be delightful. There are a lot of really talented people in the lower and middle management areas.

Cons

Depending on what department you are in, there can be terrible internal politics and a general lack of respect. Executive and senior management thinks they're cutting edge but actually sadly behind the curve, majority of "new blood" is brought into the junior accounts areas. Preference seems given to graduates of Azusa Pacific University or Westmont, neither of which are known for their stellar marketing, advertising or fundraising programs.

The top managers who seem the most fair-minded and even-tempered, don't have that much face time with the average employee or aren't empowered to really make change. I've seen some really nasty behavior and tantrums exhibited by a handful of VPs. They undermine and contradict. Somehow the work gets done despite them, not because of them.

There are a lot of faith-based clients, which depending on your own personal faith (or lack thereof) can make working at Russ Reid wonderfully fulfilling or very uncomfortable.

Shopping the local Christian universities can be an asset, especially with the Missions clients. But are these the strongest candidates for the positions? Often very junior people are put in front of clients and they over promise and create a domino effect of problems. Then more experienced people are marginalized or blamed. Hiring for positions with competitive salaries, especially in technology and digital, would save a lot of turnover and upheaval. Assuming that "doing good" is someone's first priority isn't going to keep Russ Reid competitive or ahead of the competition. Also, take a closer look at some of your senior management. Many of you are personal friends which seems to fog true objectivity as to whether those people are helping or hurting the company in the long run.

Great people, amazing corporate attitude, feel-good job

I worked at Russ Reid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture
    Coworkers
    Help nonprofits without having to work at one
    Lots of variety day-to-day
    Make your ideas reality

Cons

Unsophisticated clients can be frustrating
    Not a refined digital practice in place
    Increasingly bureaucratic pay scales

RR mantra of "grow your people, grow your clients, grow the agency" is the right attitude and makes RR a wonderful place to work. The odd secrecy around salaries and how you increase yours is unbelievably frustrating and demands more transparency. Also, publish white papers! So many smart people in the building, and we look bewilderingly quiet compared to our competitors online.

RR is a wonderful place and I hope to return someday when life puts our family in the right place at the right time. In the meantime, I refer people frequently to RR for services or for careers.

There are newer employer reviews for Russ Reid

Worked for Russ Reid? Contribute to the Community!