Rutgers University

www.rutgers.edu
  www.rutgers.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Rutgers University

Stay away if you are motivated and ambitious.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Rutgers University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

403b match is above industry standard.

Cons

It was disheartening to work at Rutgers. As a young professional, I was motivated to make a positive contribution and to achieve tangible professional growth on my job. I soon realized that it was impossible for a few reasons: 1. Archaic bureaucratic structure that prevents things from getting done. 2. Employees are not trained on proper protocols, thus causing a lot of confusion. 3. Mid-level managers are extremely incompetent. I had two director level supervisors above me, one had no vision and took credit for everything his employees did; the other one was constantly pissed off over nothing and took it out on junior level employees frequently. My workplace was like a war zone, I had to constantly avoid setting off grenades.

The only bright spot was that our department's VP and AVP were amazing, exactly the kind of leadership that you would want for an organization. However, it was hard to tell if they knew what was going on behind the scenes due to their busy schedules. As a result, our department had a high turnover rate, pretty unprecedented for a university with relatively good pay, benefits and job security.

Retain talent by improving efficiency.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Rutgers University (View Most Recent)

Amazing way to gain experience

Current Employee - Peer Leader in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Peer Leader in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Rutgers University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really developed a lot of skills through my job on campus. It helped give me great experience, plus I think it looks good on my resume.

Cons

Just some basic teaching challenges such as motivating students and teaching difficult topics to new students.

Great Place overall, but many not work for everyone.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Rutgers University (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - the best all around. People are nice. Great place for work life balance. Job Security good.

Cons

The cons may not apply if your not looking or groomed to be always under a challenge, but just want to do your work and a good job. Segregated co-worker environment - big negative. Payscale is below average. Challenge is only for the few and not the many. Little room for promotion since everyone stays past retirement. Failure to provide vehicle for co-worker get together.

Communication, communication, communication.... revaluation of payscale if you want to keep good staff.
    Develop room / programs for those whose want to move up.

There are newer employer reviews for Rutgers University