Ryan, LLC

There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC

Decent firm, Slightly Bizarre Culture

Current Employee - Tax Consultant
Current Employee - Tax Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior management is very involved and genuinely seems interested in employee's success. If you're on a good team it can be rewarding. Really depends on your team.

MyRyan is good if your manager embraces it.

Cons

I found the culture to be very bizarre. The firm is obsessed with winning (seemingly meaningless) awards and people speak of Brint Ryan as if he is God. I'd get a constant barrage of e-mails asking me to fill out surveys for random awards and make contributions to the (quite conservative) Ryan Political Action Committee. Perhaps it is because I came from a very large firm, but the culture just was too weird for me.

Aside from the culture, the only other cons I can think of is that your success really depends on your team and the review/compensation process could be better. If you're on a crappy team, it's not fun. Not all managers are equal and not all managers embrace MyRyan.
Additionally, the review process is not entirely logical and can hamper your advancement and compensation until the next year. As an aside on compensation, I found Ryan's base salaries to be below market, but there is a high bonus potential. I left the firm for a very comparable position at a comparable firm with significantly higher base pay.

More consistency in managers/training. Ease up on the awards and other random stuff and let people work. Who cares if Ryan places 3rd in Sheboygan Wisconsin's Best Places to work list? Let employees focus on clients and driving revenue and stop flooding inboxes with this stuff. Base salaries more in line with the market will attract better young talent, not these meaningless awards. It's not like the firm is competing in Forbes or Fortune or anything.

217 Other Employee Reviews for Ryan, LLC (View Most Recent)

Great Place To Work! A Breath of Fresh Air!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance with myRyan. Ryan offers an awesome benefits package that passes up most companies! Management Team is great and the structure within the company if very sound. They offer an awesome instant support system for their employees through RyanNet. Everything you need is right at your fingertips. Everyone at the Corporate Offices has always been pleasant and great to deal with! They just released a great Tuition Reimbursement plan that will allow employees to grow within the company! Ryan is definitely a breath of fresh air!

Cons

There are no cons that I have come across thus far that worth mentioning.

Keep up the great work! Brint has a great vision and the Executive Team is focused on making that vision happen! It is a win-win situation! Thank you for choosing me to be part of an awesome team!

I think this has become a really great place to work

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down, you can't beat the flexibility given to you here. The gym, phone, and train allowances are the best thing ever to me. I will say that the CEO has been forward thinking and has become open minded over the past 5 years. It has been a great change to see here at Ryan. He seems to listen to feedback and implements changes based on that feedback. I have yet to work at any company that has done that.

Cons

The review system and having to be at exactly 100% doesn't seem realistic. I understand if you don't meet all of your goals that you shouldn't get a full increase, but some sort of partial increase should be allowed if you achieved 85% of your goals??? Also if you get below 100% that hurts you for an entire year and can stop you from getting an salary bump for waayyy too long.

Communicate!!! Communicate if your employee is not doing well or is not meeting your expectations. Embrace the differences in an individual's work style and MANAGE that to get the results that you are seeking from that person. Simply saying, "Be like him" or "Be like her" or "I wish you were like such and such" is not a motivator for anyone and will cause resentment. Describe the TRAITS that you desire and coach your employee that way.

There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC