There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC

Intern perspective

Current Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great flexibility! Even as an intern I was given quite a bit of flexibility throughout my internship. The bonus structure also makes the company quite competitive from the typical CPA firms. They also offer terrific training if you lack skills in programs such as excel and access. Their technical training wasn't very effective in my opinion however. I did accept a full time offer with the company. I do believe this is a great place to start a career if you don't want to do the whole big 4 thing while still doing taxes yet not spending countless hours doing tax returns. You get the opportunity to do a variety of tasks at Ryan which was nice.

Cons

Although the bonus structure is great it takes a good deal of time before you see these bonuses. And as much as I hate to admit, your happiness at Ryan ultimately depends on what team you end up on. Not all managers are created equal and not all managers embrace the flexibility of myRyan. Thankfully, I had a wonderful manager but it is still a drawback of working there. I also couldn't stand how the company micromanages every little detail and requires multiple approvals for even the smallest things. I understand the company wants to effectively allocate their resources but some of these internal procedures are inefficient when you have to wait on management and ownership approval on certain things.

The flexibility is great but not all managers embrace this. Make sure all managers are following the blueprint set out by the CEO. Also I think at the current rate of growth with the company that some of the internal processes need to change to be more efficient. I also think interns should be entitled to bonuses for their work they contribute to projects as well. Interns are treated the same as first year consultants so I believe the work they spend on projects should be rewarded. Also I think the hourly pay rate needs to be closer to the CPA competitors.

203 Other Employee Reviews for Ryan, LLC (View Most Recent)

Be weary if you are in a corporate support position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Global tax firm known for finding significant client savings

Cons

Limited work life balance, managers are not trusted to make business decisions, people are seen as a commodity. Senior leadership has no respect for corporate staff and treats them like "overhead".

The support staff work very hard, but need more resources to do their job. Stop treating people as though they can be replaced!

Internal processes are choking the company

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The company is very customer centered and will do what is right by the customer. They also do a good public service by trying to limit tax burdens.

Cons

Generally speaking, mistakes are not tolerated well. When a mistake happens, the reaction is to create an internal process to make sure that the same/similar mistake does not happen again. The result is a mountain of interal processes and policies that take away decision-making ability. It also results in resources being mis-allocated to managing internal process instead of working on the business. The Chief of Staff spends most of her time creating this internal bureaucracy -- she also implements ineffective HR programs just for the sake of trying to win workplace awards (rather than HR programs that acutally help the business).

Go through internal processes/policies one a time and strike the ones that don't help the business.

There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!