Ryan, LLC

www.ryan.com
  www.ryan.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC

Liked the company until things started 'slipping off its axis...'

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Brint Ryan has been committed to implementing programs and benefits that will better serve his employees. The company has come a long way and I liked the changes that were made.
The increased flexibility has been good for most employees.
I was able to work with many functions in my administrative role and build a network of support that helped me better assist those in my office.
I felt like I could contribute and implement processes and that was welcomed in the office.
It was a nice place to work until egos got in the way.

Cons

Not sure if exit interviews are used for the stated purposes. Exit interviews/pre-exit interview was used to send out behind the scenes email to leadership team to trash personal reputation and performance. This was just unbelievable and quite disappointing.

Raise system needs to be reviewed. Never had a formal review. Had to approach management when I sensed something was wrong. That's when the floodgate opened with all of these "issues". What happened to ongoing communication and coaching from the "LEADERSHIP" ranks? Attestations regarding data entry errors were not my fault, but it was easy to blame it on "the help."

Company pushes fitness and wellness on a corporate level, but on the local level the managers had a problem with it. What I did on my unpaid lunch break became a sore spot for management and I couldn't understand why.

Management complains about outside interests as if that were a crime. Making a one word generic LinkedIn profile containing "entrepreneur" should not have been raised to me as a bad thing. How dare I think more of myself than just being an admin? Apparently it was felt that I had some nerve to describe myself in that way.

Pay not competitive for admin roles in NYC, but the expectations on how your attitude should be was as if they were paying you big bucks. Make the salary match what you want out of the person so they won't have to think about doing something else outside of work.

Manager wanted a so-called "Dallas-like" personality as if I had not been professional in the 6.5 years that I had been there. I had "lasted" because I had did a good job and got things done. Not because someone was doing me any favors by letting me stay around.

Don't use exit interviews to send out emails on employee performance to 'beat' the publication of what was said by the exiting person. Let them have their say as their last rites.

Honestly I tried to "protect" certain people because I genuinely liked them, but it was all for nothing apparently. So disappointed that email happened after 6 months as a temp making less than $14/hour, then after another 6 years as a FT employee? I proved I was dedicated, and it was the longest that I ever worked anywhere. And all of what I did was trashed. All because I said "office environment" as the reason for me leaving the company. That's the thanks I got. Wow.

Communicate your expectations to employees and don't let things escalate to a point of no return.

Let people be who they want to be outside of work and on their LinkedIn accounts. I represented the company JUST FINE being the person I was when I was off the clock.

Keep expectations professional and not personal. A manager being upset because he wasn't (quote) "number one" to me was a bit much. Especially to the person that you barely spoke to, who didn't get a raise, a bonus, and was getting paid below market rate. Honestly, making you feel 'number one' is a job for your spouse. I wasn't getting paid enough to be anyone's Edith Bunker.

People are individuals. Never tell anyone to 'be like' another person. Statements like "Be like the ladies in Dallas", or be like this person or that person is not how supervisors should coach employees. People will become resentful when things are stated in that way. That's like saying "I wish you would be more like my ex-wife or ex-husband." Focus on SKILLS and CHARACTERISTICS that you would like emulated. I'm sure any HR professional will tell you that as well. Management needs training in coaching employees at that company big time.

I was honest in everything that I said in my conversations regarding my exit. Manager felt betrayed and I have no idea why when I was the one who served my head on a platter and left voluntarily. I did that to make others happy...not myself. But in the end I didn't even get credit for that. I put others before myself and I was still made out to be a bad employee anyway in some email. So no matter what I did, I just couldn't win.

212 Other Employee Reviews for Ryan, LLC (View Most Recent)

Ryan is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Tax Technology Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Technology Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My Ryan is a great way to balance your work schedule with your other life obligations. Ryan holds all its employees accountable for getting the work done, while at the same time allows its employees to (within reason) work a schedule that is convenient for them.

Cons

I didn't see any cons to working here. It's a great place to start a career! Great potential for advancement for new employees as this is a growing firm!

Be weary if you are in a corporate support position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Global tax firm known for finding significant client savings

Cons

Limited work life balance, managers are not trusted to make business decisions, people are seen as a commodity. Senior leadership has no respect for corporate staff and treats them like "overhead".

The support staff work very hard, but need more resources to do their job. Stop treating people as though they can be replaced!

There are newer employer reviews for Ryan, LLC