Ryder System

Lots of work

Current Employee - Rental Sales Representative
Current Employee - Rental Sales Representative

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Well before cut backs it was commission program and pay. However, that has changed.
The people are good to you and willing to teach.

Cons

Lots of hours, lots of work, not great pay.
Little promotions if you are not willing to relocate.

Try and look at the long term picture and really listen to your employees needs. Be present more often.

293 Other Employee Reviews for Ryder System (View Most Recent)

Ryder as a whole

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Ryder is very family oriented.

Cons

Intercompany politics at the location level

Actions speak louder than words. Show the employees they are appreciated.

Sounds like a great opportunity, but isnt!

Former Employee - Rental Sale Representative
    Former Employee - Rental Sale Representative

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

-A lot of autonomy out in the branches with no manager looking right over your shoulder
    -Not stuck in the office all day. Moving trucks around the yard and delivering them to customers.
    -Daily interaction with customers.

Cons

-Promotion potential is limited
    -You will be fired if you get a couple speeding tickets on your own time and in your own vehicle. (This did not happen to me but I witnessed it firsthand)
    -Must be in a large market to see any chance of a raise or promotion. I was in a smaller city and was basically "blown off" by management even after increasing rentals by a substantial amount.
    -You will have to deal with shop personell with limited education on a daily basis and if you haven't spent time around diesel mechanics you have no idea what you're about to get yourself into! Some of them are great, but the rest are idiots that have no concept of business, customer service, or teamwork....
    -You will live or die by the quality of the service manager at your location. Mine was an uneducated moron who couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. I would have a customer coming in to pick up a specialized truck and it would suddenly "disappear" to be serviced somewhere. Absolute lack of communication from Service Department techs at virtually all locations.
    -Horrible economic conditions persist for this industry as a whole. To be quite honest, you have a high probability of being laid off/downsized if the economy takes another hit.
    -The location that I worked at (mid size city) has literally had a revolving door of rental personell for at least a decade. We calculated the average time at 1 year before you could count on a layoff, firing, or downsizing....
    -I do not recommend Ryder as a suitable place to work for a business professional. If this is your first job out of college and you can put up with a lot, do a year here and leave.

-Hire service managers with a business acumen and not just grease monkey skills.
    -Explain the limited promotion potential at smaller markets and reinforce the need to transfer/relocate to enhance your career.
    -Explain to perspective employees that this industry is in an incredibly difficult place and that the future is vague for long term employment here. Sad but true.
    -For God's sake, come up with a training program for your Rental MGT's...Having to learn on the fly from an idiot in the shop doesn't count. We don't all know about the trucking industry from birth.
    -Explain to new employees that you have let go well over 1100 employees in the last year and a half and that they need to take this position with eyes wide open.

There are newer employer reviews for Ryder System