Boring, uneventful and un-challenging. not a place to grow.

Former Employee - Materials Planner  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Materials Planner in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryerson full-time for more than a year

Pros

it was a very easy job. no one ever worked late and no one really showed up on time.

Cons

unchallenging and boring work but decent managers.

get rid of the old school boys club mentality.

Other Reviews for Ryerson

They just don't care

Former Employee - Burner  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Burner in Houston, TX

I worked at Ryerson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their 401K by Fidelity matches 100% on the first 4% and 50% on the next 2% you contribute for a total of 5% which is totally 100% vested as soon as you join.They pay you for all the major holidays and you earn a week vacation every 6 months.

Cons

Ryerson(corporate) management have no real clue what goes on by the local management at local service centers.Where I worked the management and sales people got quarterly bonus for production by the warehouse workers which got nothing.They pushed us and abused us with verbal intimidation and threats.They made us do illegal procedures to boost profits for there quarterly bonuses.We had no union where I worked so there was little recourse.

Look beyond your next quarterly profits.Think of your customer base and valued experienced employers who produce the products that keep your customers and investors happy, before Christmas and not after you've gotten your yearly finance report on profits.Treat all employees with dignity and respect like you would the CEO in a board meeting.A happy worker is a productive worker.

Concerned about bottom line only- could care less about employees

Current Employee - MIS  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - MIS in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryerson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None that I can think of. The company went from being at the top of the metals industry to the bottom very rapidly.
    New management has done nothing to resurrect the Ryerson brand they may in fact be making it worse.

Cons

CEO shares his political views in CEO webcasts, ridiculous
    Upper management is highly over paid while workers are underpaid.
    No concern for employees, the only thing management worries about is the bottom line
    No career advancement at all

Treat employees like they are valuable to the company and reward them for their efforts.
    Quite wasting money on useless programs like SMART goals and Success factors paper socres do not determine an employees value

There are newer employer reviews for Ryerson.

Worked for Ryerson? Contribute to the Community!