Boring, uneventful and un-challenging. not a place to grow.

Former Employee - Materials Planner  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Materials Planner in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryerson full-time for more than a year

Pros

it was a very easy job. no one ever worked late and no one really showed up on time.

Cons

unchallenging and boring work but decent managers.

get rid of the old school boys club mentality.

Other Reviews for Ryerson

They just don't care

Former Employee - Burner  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Burner in Houston, TX

I worked at Ryerson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Their 401K by Fidelity matches 100% on the first 4% and 50% on the next 2% you contribute for a total of 5% which is totally 100% vested as soon as you join.They pay you for all the major holidays and you earn a week vacation every 6 months.

Cons

Ryerson(corporate) management have no real clue what goes on by the local management at local service centers.Where I worked the management and sales people got quarterly bonus for production by the warehouse workers which got nothing.They pushed us and abused us with verbal intimidation and threats.They made us do illegal procedures to boost profits for there quarterly bonuses.We had no union where I worked so there was little recourse.

Look beyond your next quarterly profits.Think of your customer base and valued experienced employers who produce the products that keep your customers and investors happy, before Christmas and not after you've gotten your yearly finance report on profits.Treat all employees with dignity and respect like you would the CEO in a board meeting.A happy worker is a productive worker.

Best Company I have ever worked for!!!!

Former Employee - Cash Applicatoins Clerk  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cash Applicatoins Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ryerson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

In the city of Chicago which provided great transportation, great people, great work environment. This has been the best company I have ever worked. My bosses were great. The job itself was not hard just a lot of hard work if you were willing to do it.

Cons

None that I could think of at this time.

When they were bought out by Platinum located in Beverly Hills they did a decentralization and they laid everyone off. I wish the old Ryerson Management team would come back.

There are newer employer reviews for Ryerson.

Worked for Ryerson? Contribute to the Community!