There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Flexible workplace, salary not so good for younger workers

Current Employee - Java Developer in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Java Developer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Very flexible work place (this is really up to my division - not the company as a whole).
Good benefits.

Cons

Poor salaries for newer / younger employees. Times were much better in the years before the company went public, and the raises the older workers got were MUCH higher. Therefore, there is now a de-facto two-tier pay system - one for those there before the company went public, and one for those who began their career afterwards. The older employers make a good 30% premium all other things remaining equal.

Advice to Management

Start working on removing some of the dead weight in middle management and the large amount of poor performers who've been feeding at the trough since 911 bonanza began ten years ago. Many of these workers do not carry their weight, and are becoming a burden on those that perform.

SAIC (and all the other big miliatary / government contractors) are going to run into trouble as the technical talent moves to smaller / younger companies where they're not required to subsidize the large salaries and expensive health bennies of the older workers.

reviews filtered by

Underwhelming--Poor management at certain satellite divisions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

The benefits--medical, dental, leave--are decent in my division. However, for a company of this size, better benefits could be had.

Cons

In my division, there is a culture of heavy office politics, which is partly due to a trickle-down effect from the government agency we support. I've seen many talented people leave, which is a great loss to the company. I have not been impressed with the people promoted--they do average work but are superior sycophants and/or backstabbers. As noted by other reviewers (even those in other divisions), there is an astounding lack of truthful or open communications, accompanied by a lack of management. The result is that there are many conflicts within fractured teams.

Also mentioned in other reviews is SAIC's tendency for talk, but no action. The company says it values its employees, but there is little evidence for this. For example, here is a short list of chronic problems our facility has experienced: Clogged toilets, periodic flooding from break room fountains, lack of basic supplies for the bathroom or kitchen, no trash disposal services, lack of holiday parties, mold-infested carpeting...the list goes on. Employees have frequently asked for better service, but management remains unresponsive. For that matter, management is rarely seen or heard at all.

According to workers who have been there awhile, things have gotten worse--especially after the move to go public on the stock market.

Advice to Management

Try to be in touch with your employees' needs. Something as simple as upgrading coffee machines, or ensuring that office supplies are always available, go a long way to fostering mutual respect.

It's an average company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

They treat their employees with respect. A lot of your peers are good technical people. It has many locations located all over the states for you to relocate if needed.

Cons

You basically work from contract to contract. When the contract ends, it's up to you to find your own job. There's little assistance from HR for job placement even though you are an excellent performer.