There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Darned good place to work

Current Employee - TARP Representative in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - TARP Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

People are encouraged to look for opportunitiesa and then run with the ball.

Cons

It is getting too large

Advice to Management

Need to be more supportive in letting employees pursue educational opportunities and uniform in granting tuition assistance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you are going to work for a Beltway Bandit, you could do worse

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Lots of diversity within the company... I've worked on four different contracts doing a lot of different things. I feel like I've had a lot of variety, which keeps me entertained, but I haven't had to change jobs, which is nice for my resume and benefits.

Cons

Most of the work is for the government.... so you have to be tolerant of glacial progress, rapidly shifting priorities, being held hostage to government procurement processes.

Advice to Management

I've always worked on a customer site so I don't get a chance to interact very much with people outside of my contract. When I had to job hunt after we lost a recompete, it was extraordinarily difficult because I had no network to rely on. The Women's Network is really disappointing... the few events happen right after business hours in Tyson's, which makes it impossible for offsite people to attend. The forum could be really great, but Sharepoint is such a pain to use & I don't know who is reading it, so I wouldn't post anything that I didn't want my boss's boss's boss to read.

2. SAIC Junior Software Engineer Review

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

SAIC provides a stable work environment where information is shared freely and adherence to ethical professional standards is fostered. The additional health and retirement benefits match industry standards. There is also a highly visible training program where one can advance ones professional skills and therefore career.

Cons

There are slightly lower than average salaries for software engineers. An employee ownership program whereby each employee could purchase premium company stock at a large discount has been downsized. At times it seems that promotions aren't given where they seem justifiable.

Advice to Management

SAIC has traditionally been a little below average on salary compensation for software engineers. I'd suggest slightly boosting our salaries to match the industry.