SAIC

www.saic.com
  www.saic.com
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Underwhelming--Poor management at certain satellite divisions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

The benefits--medical, dental, leave--are decent in my division. However, for a company of this size, better benefits could be had.

Cons

In my division, there is a culture of heavy office politics, which is partly due to a trickle-down effect from the government agency we support. I've seen many talented people leave, which is a great loss to the company. I have not been impressed with the people promoted--they do average work but are superior sycophants and/or backstabbers. As noted by other reviewers (even those in other divisions), there is an astounding lack of truthful or open communications, accompanied by a lack of management. The result is that there are many conflicts within fractured teams.

Also mentioned in other reviews is SAIC's tendency for talk, but no action. The company says it values its employees, but there is little evidence for this. For example, here is a short list of chronic problems our facility has experienced: Clogged toilets, periodic flooding from break room fountains, lack of basic supplies for the bathroom or kitchen, no trash disposal services, lack of holiday parties, mold-infested carpeting...the list goes on. Employees have frequently asked for better service, but management remains unresponsive. For that matter, management is rarely seen or heard at all.

According to workers who have been there awhile, things have gotten worse--especially after the move to go public on the stock market.

Try to be in touch with your employees' needs. Something as simple as upgrading coffee machines, or ensuring that office supplies are always available, go a long way to fostering mutual respect.

1163 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

It's an average company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

They treat their employees with respect. A lot of your peers are good technical people. It has many locations located all over the states for you to relocate if needed.

Cons

You basically work from contract to contract. When the contract ends, it's up to you to find your own job. There's little assistance from HR for job placement even though you are an excellent performer.

Experience depends on your management

Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Big company with a decent reputation, good location, fair compensation

Cons

Older culture (age of peers) where I didn't fit in, older culture limited my career progression

Realize leadership potential from all levels of the organization. Don't limit to just hiring managers coming out of military retirement. Also, there's a lot of benefit to hiring younger blood in the company.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC