Good Review of SAIC

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Flexibility. Great management team, great leadership. Knowledgeable engineering staff.

Cons

Information Sharing could be improved.

Advice to Management

Implement constructs to continue to promote information sharing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not the best job, and not the worst job, I've had.

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Crane, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Crane, IN

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

The money is the best I've made in my 25 years as a professional engineer. The company encourages and provides training, including access to a large selection of technical books. Current manager is the second friendliest I have had. Very sincere and concerned for his people, and he has won company recognition for that as well. In the quarterly meetings, he hands out many awards to employees in recognition of their achievements ( and we all get a free lunch too).After our division won a perfect score from the customer, we received a $90 gift certificate to the restaurant of our choice.

Cons

Limited growth chances. Funding for my job was cut with only 2 weeks notice. SAIC has 1 job I qualify for in the area I live and getting my foot into that door is proving to be harder than it should be. My current manager is working to assist. The holiday pay is not what I would call "competitive" at only 9 days. Other contract houses I worked for (CSC and Dyncorp) offered 10 and 11 holidays. Cummins had twelve. Employees have expressed dissatisfaction with not receiving Veterans Day as a paid holiday, as most emplyees here are veterans. SAIC is not going to give that holiday to us, even though the government employees (our customer) have it as a holiday and we MUST take that day off. Virtually ALL jobs require a security clearance. It is a major headache to work in a secure area.

Advice to Management

I have a question for Ken Dahlberg: why did you sell your SAIC stock??? He has something like 100 shares left. Why should I hold onto it when he doesn't? Must know what lay ahead for the company and isn't saying? Moved all my money into bonds.

2. Great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fred, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fred, TX

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

,401k, benefits Career advancement is what you make of it... work hard, get rewarded. Management listens to you, you have freedom to do your own thing, get rewrded for bright ideas, input is listened to, feedback from managers are helpful. Tuition reimbuse for evening classes is a good way to advance ones career

Cons

hard work, The lovely cold winters and sweltering summers. Its essentially government, work with so many bland people that you want to leave at 5:00 to keep your sanity Wish the pay was better, profit sharing would be nice, recreational facilities or a gym would be great.

Advice to Management

share the wealth