SAIC

www.saic.com
  www.saic.com
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

SAIC provides opportunity to work all aspects of an engineering job.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Program Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Good technical reputation. Opportunity and resources to "redeploy" when work runs out. Diverse kinds of work. Respect for a diverse workforce.

Cons

Mostly defense work in the backlog, but defense work has uncertain prospects. One of the largest defene firms in the country but still learning how to act big.

Management needs to remember the roots of SAIC - the technical work itself. While management has a primary responsibility to stockholders, it will come out well if the techies continue to be taken care of.

1162 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

Soul Crushing Beltway Bandit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Health insurance is cheap and OK. Client site is ok when the need arises to go out and see the light of day.

Cons

I've never worked for a company so bent into tormeting employees into submission and compliance than SAIC. Like other Beltway Bandits it is a company deeply mired in a government/military mindset (of operation and profit taking) that just doesn't fit in the twenty first century. You're reminded constantly about ethics not for your sake but for theirs. Immediate supervisors and managers are very removed from you; if you have not been here for more than three years you are an outsider. Time keeping policies are stiffling, obsesive-cumpulsive and oppresive (in the last month I've had mine rejected four times for little things). It quickly becomes a dead-end job and you dread waking up each morning to face your commute, spend eight gruelling hours at your desk and pray for time to go fast so you can leave.

You're basically a cog in the machine. Period. Heck, there aren't even supplies in the kitchen or the work area I was in (i.e., basics like napkins, spoons, cups, pencils, pens). I bought my own pens, pencils and cups from the CVS down the street. What does this remind you of? The word you're thinking of starts with a 'P'. You have to use client computers, which are boarded up ('secured') so much, you can't even use SAICs own document management systems correctly.

And let's not get started on the quality of the projects you do. If you've been in a government project before you've seen it: milk the government for all the time you can, while you can. No quality, no real management of the issues that the government has, outdated ideas, you get the point.

If you get a call from an SAIC recruiter, just politely tell them to go away. The guys at HQ have it good. If you have TS/SCI clearance and I guess if you work at a really exotic location (e.g., research) you're good too. Otherwise, it is hell. Stay away.

My advice for SAIC leadership? SAIC is too big and has its fingers on way too many pots for its own good. Apparently this once was an employee-owned company; there is no evidence now of that ever happening. Maybe other SAIC projects are great and employees over there are happy about the work they do. But I don't think that is the case everywhere you go.

Loosen up on the bureaucracy. Be nimble and flexible. As younger people join SAIC, and quicly become dissilussioned you will start suffering and leave, again, causing no instituional growth and gaps in knowledge. Be better with technology: the web 2.0 revolution is happening right outside your door and you're holed up in your closet, crying and praying for it to go away.

Or better yet, please go away an be extinct. Like the dinosaurs you and the other Beltway Bandits are. By doing so perhaps you will save us, the taxpayers, some money.

Good Ol' Boy's Network

Former Employee - Wintel Server Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Wintel Server Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Pay and benefits were good. That's what makes it hard to leave.
    Provided necessary tools and equipment to hit the ground running.
    Provided training / classes

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunities unless you're a part of the GOBN (Good Ol' Boy's Network). Non-technical managers dictate technical process and procedure.
    No flexibility in work schedule or location unless you're a GOBN.
    Seems management heavy.

Have clear division between technical and non-technical personnel.
    Offer career advancement path during performance review.
    Offer greater life/career balance benefits where appropriate (remote work, flexible hours)

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC